A Note About The Ads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any other services that this site could provide in the future to generate income?
Scott tried Amazon's referral service and ask him how well that worked.... :confused: I asked him one time and, don't hold me to it, but the amount was less than a hundred dollars over the course of quite some time (maybe a year ?).

Heh, I see the link above for Amazon is still there. I guess it *costs* him nothing, so why not keep it ? Honestly though, if someone sees that, *why* would they consider clicking it ? Without clicking it, I suspect people would think it's a store for t-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, etc.

I now have thick ads on the left side of the screen which are very annoying. Several days before the ads were not there, but the forum area was stretched so much that you couldn't see the columns. The new image files showing up in the middle of the screen is also very annoying.

I guess from now on ONLY paid members will be able to enjoy this website.

I agree .. the new ads mean that I now have to scroll left/right to even read any of the forum posts ... very annoying.

Probably 65% of the entire screen area was taken up with ads ...

I removed the site from my firefox/chrome startup tabs. It's not worth the time/effort it takes to scroll each time you want to read a post and a reply.

Sorry Scott ... the new ad format killed it for me. Good luck with the new membership drive though.

:)

I agree .. the new ads mean that I now have to scroll left/right to even read any of the forum posts ... very annoying.

Probably 65% of the entire screen area was taken up with ads ...

I removed the site from my firefox/chrome startup tabs. It's not worth the time/effort it takes to scroll each time you want to read a post and a reply.

Sorry Scott ... the new ad format killed it for me. Good luck with the new membership drive though.

:)

Same here...it's not that I don't understand the economics. I'm a casual visitor at best, though, and can't see spending $20 a year to read post after post in the Dish Network forum about lack of HD content.

The new format (and the constant "Make these ads go away" bug at the top of the screen) makes the site a bit difficult to deal with, at least for me

The new format (and the constant "Make these ads go away" bug at the top of the screen) makes the site a bit difficult to deal with, at least for me
Sounds like desperate times....

Scott: What I don't understand is that in the past, you stated that pub membership really doesn't help run the site as it's such a small amount (%) in the grand scheme. Why the push now ?

The ad market has changed. Where we use to make $1 we now make 30 cents.

The past 2 weeks we have been trying out other ad networks to see if things were greener with other ad networks.

This was a mistake. But at the same time it needed to be done or else we would have never known.

When the ads return on Tuesday for registered members the only syndicated ads will be from Google Adsense, who is not only the highest paying but also the fastest serving of all the ad networks we tried.

I was not happy with the ads we served over the past two weeks. They were to damn slow.

This weekend I wasn't going to screw around with the ads, got other things cooking so I decided to show people what it was like and how fast the site really can be. So thats why the ad free weekend.

And there you have it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)