Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Greetings folks,

I wanted to give you an update of something that is concerning me, I want to be upfront and let you know whats going on so that hopefully I don't look like an idiot. :)

As you can see today I have been rather loud about new HD coming to Dish Network finally. This news to me is a big deal as I literally get hundreds of PM's and emails each week asking me when things are coming.

I have been feeling relieved that SOME new HD is finally coming this week. I know Dish Network customers want more HD and want it now, I have been happy that it appears this week we will begin to see some new national HD from Dish Network.

I didn't really start tooting the HD horn today until I saw a document which is sent out weekly to employees, in this document is shows Chiller, USA HD and SCIFI HD launching on Wednesday. Seeing this in writing had me finally feeling good that finally some new national HD was coming.

A little while ago I was talking to a friend who works in Wyoming in engineering and I told him how happy I was that we would finally see some new national HD, and this person had no idea what I was talking about.

I sent him over the document I had and he sent me over the one he had which was timed one hour later then the document I had received earlier, the documents were exactly the same, except missing from his list were Chiller, USA HD and SCIFI HD.

Now this has got me confused and frankly now I have a headache.

For the past few weeks my contacts at Dish and at the programmers themself have hinted (some have outright said) that the first new national HD would be coming this week. So now I am confused and wanted to bring this situation to your attention.

If the new HD does not come a lot of folks are going to say that I was just talking to keep people coming here so that I could make money off of ad views, let me tell you this is NOT the case at all, if it were true I would have accepted the large 6 figure offer that was made to buy SatelliteGuys (in fact we had two seperate companies looking to buy the site)

My number one goal here at SatelliteGuys is to give you our members the most accurate information first. When I report things here, I don't pull stuff out of the air I report them on stuff I have seen with my own eyes or have been told by trusted contacts.

No other site works as hard as we do to bring you the latest news rumors and information. No other site works as hard to support the satellite industry as SatelliteGuys does. No other site works like we do to bring you to industry events. And no other site puts you face to face with the satellite company executives. The site that does that all is SatelliteGuys.US.

SatelliteGuys.US is a labor of love for me, I could have taken the large 6 digit offer, paid off my house, my cars and ridden off into the sunset. I opted not to because I love this place. A lot of you might think this is a goldmine, but let me let you in on a secret its not. In fact at the moment I owe our ISP $4,950 which is due on April 13th (these costs are additional costs because of the addition of the new server. ) I am paying this out of my own pocket as I did not want to increase the number of ads on the site. So if anyone says I am doing this for the money they are dead wrong.

I love what I do and wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Anyways now I am confused on this new HD and wanted to report it to you our members to let you know whats up. I can tell you that I am going to try my best to dig to find out exectly whats going on tomorrow, but I wanted to be upfront with you just incase the new HD does not show up as planned.

My goal again is to give you the most accurate news, information and rumors and I want to give them to you before anyone else. I thank you for your trust and thank you for being a SatelliteGuys member!

BTW I forgot to add that my gut is telling me that we will indeed see those new channels this week. However as I have learned a long long time ago, I can't go on gut feelings alone. :)

Scott, whether it comes this week or not, it does NOT change how a lot of us appreciate the effort that you give to the site.

SATELLITEGUYS is by far the BEST source of information on the web.

Keep on keepin on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to let you know that I did not think you were "really" stoking the fires to boost revenue. Just my attempt at deadpan humor.

Also, I have talked to a couple of people in the programming industry and they complain that since the AMC 14 mishap, the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at Dish. They can't get a straight answer out of them, either.

People at ESPN were really surprised that Dish did not launch ESPNnews HD last week and they do not like reporting things inaccurately on the air. They were less surprised about Disney and Toon Disney.

Clearly they were told by someone that ESPN news was a go, and then told it wasn't. Not good.

So it does not surprise me that you should be running into the same issue.

Personally, I am now expecting nothing to be lit up this week. If something is, I would think it would be an all-or-nothing deal. That is, if they launch Sci-Fi and USA that they will also launch Bravo and CNBC. Or they would launch ESPN News, Disney and Toon Disney. I think the companies are contractually requiring that.

I also heard that discussions with Tribune have cooled regarding WGN HD.

I hope you are right about April. My drop dead date is May 15. Not because of the contract, but because of trees.

Scott, anyone who has been around since "before the beginning" when you were a mod over at the other place can obviously see how much freaking work you've put into this site. It's a job in itself and if anyone wants to bitch about anything here they should go there.

Your intentions are 100% honorable, and no one should doubt that one bit. If you get stabbed in the back by Dish once in a while, well, that's a badge of honor in itself.

Never worry about what people may say - it's a waste of emotion!

Thanks again for all you do here.

Perhaps the contracts for ESPN news were in place, but Dish was not ready for them yet (i.e. still working on HD locals to get space). So, ESPN thinks they are a go, but Dish does not deliever.

It's exactly because you write this sort of post that you and Satguys is the most credible independent voice. It's not about you being accurate, it's about you being up front and very transparent on what is happening or not happening. That others fail to follow up on their word is no reflection on you, or any Satguys staffer's reporting.

Come Thursday this will continue to be the best gathering place for informed and interested people in home entertainment technologies and still be growing. I thank you Scott and all of your crew here for that.

Scott, whether it comes this week or not, it does NOT change how a lot of us appreciate the effort that you give to the site.

SATELLITEGUYS is by far the BEST source of information on the web.

Keep on keepin on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up

Yeah I understand and yes keep up the great work that you do here and everyone else that contributes..

I'm with you Scott. I have a gut feeling too that we'll get some goodies this week.

But if not, I won't freak out either. I know it's not going to be another 6 months of no new national hd, it is coming soon. But as each week passes...I'm getting more and more tempted to make the jump to direct. Come on Dish, make this 10+ year subscriber happy!

Oh btw, are there any plans for New Orleans HD locals? I remember they were on a list of the next locals to come a year or more ago, but I've heard not a peep lately.

My guess is the two different memos went to different groups of people. One group that was supposed to know that channels were coming and another group that was supposed to know what channels were coming. My bet is we see at least those two HD channels added Wed.

Scott, if there is no new HD this week I certainly would not think you misled me. It is apparent Dish is either intentionally or unintentionally providing conflicting information. Your contacts at Dish say there will be new HD this week. Other contacts say no new HD. A memo stating new HD this week. An hour later an other memo deleting the the new HD comment.

If it was up to you we would have a lot more HD right now. You are not responsible for what Dish does or doesn't do. All you can do is give us the best information you have based on your sources and your knowledge of the satellite television industry.

If there is no new HD this week the blame will go were it belongs - Dish Network.

It goes to show that there are some things that money can't buy. There is only one site online like this one and it can't be bought. To own a site like this must bring you great joy that the money could not even bring. It's one of those things that is unique. Kind of like a once in a lifetime chance to having something that you can be proud of and lots of other people can be proud of too. This site has great value now and the value keeps building everyday so its not like you are losing anything by turning down their offers. If they offered you 6 digit figurs then they plan on making a profit off of that. It means this site can even be ran and have a profit without having to sell it but the money is being invested back into the site which is a very good thing and put to good use.

Don't worry about it Scott. It's not like anyone's life depends on the accuracy of your information (although some may act like it). This is a great site, and part of the fun is deciphering what Dish is going to do next.

Besides, having any activity on the SciFi and USA HD channels after having slates for months is a good sign. Even if it's not this week...

I'm pretty new here Scott but I really have enjoyed learning and reading all you guys write on the HD wars and all the latest rumors. You have kept me from jumping to D* for now....I'm being patient with the hopes that the HD competition will be much closer by the end of the summer between E* and D*.......just wish Dish would start carrying WGNHD for the Sox games!

Thanks again Scott.
Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)