Please reply by conversation.

guacharaca

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Vernon, BC
I believe this photo was taken near Mombasa, Kenya. Kenya.jpg

remember you have to take into consideration the 22-25 degree offset

dish looks like its aimed at about 30 degrees or so (even with the "nice" mast)

Around here I don't want to fool with anything unless it is 40+. :)

When I was a kid, we'd see shacks made from cottonwood logs. There was electricity, but not running water. There was also a television antenna and a Corvair or other small car parked in front.

The lady in Kenya that gave me the photo now tells me that the hut is no longer there. I am trying to get more details about the dish and I am certain she is confused by my questions about the dish. For some reason she thinks I am interested in the culture and the hut....hahaha. It is amazing what I will go through to pick up a cheap used dish for the farm.

Last edited:
that dish looks like its ready to slide off the motor shaft

thats as far up it will go. The bottom holes on the shaft (where the long bolt on the dish elevation would go through) is off so the holes dont line up so we just had to "bear hug" the shaft by tightening the bolts real tight :)

last time i was in mombasa i was 24 and having a good time. we were monitoring a soviet ship which was in the secondary landing zone of the coast of kenya. unfortunately for us, we had to replace the uss liberty which was scheduled for that mission but the israelis tried to sink her a few months earlier. went around the cape that trip. we had a big dish on our ship. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a2763e8af2b59787&id=A2763E8AF2B59787%21336#cid=A2763E8AF2B59787&id=A2763E8AF2B59787%215969. charlie

Okay, now, if you're going to start telling war stories I could fill a couple pages with Combat Information Center (CIC) stories of Top Secret hush, hush, flights and missions during the Vietnam War. All of which are no longer secret...

And there is the snakes we could see from the flight deck (60ft) that were 30ft long in the Gulf of Tonkin.... Sea Snakes?

All our dishes were hidden under domes on board... But I regress...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)