A plea to Dish to do the right thing with Mpeg4 HD

I was sold on sat/cable HD until I got setup with OTA, which looks damn awesome.

Dish HD might not look this good, but it looks good(if that makes me an hd apologist oh well).

Ill take 100 1440x1080i channels over 10 1920x1080i any day. Thats me being realistic in the fact Id rather have a downrezzed HD channel over this SD crap.

Here is one factor that people miss - all the Dish Network Engineers are watching these HD channels too.

Given that they are engineers, you can bet that at least a few of them have big, expensive HD sets.

So, ultimately, they have as much motivation as anyone to get the PQ as good as they can.

This time next year folks with be VERY VERY happy with the HD PQ on Dish Network. Trust me when I say this. :)

This time next year I will be just about out of my 18-month contract. So it will be time to go shopping around again to see who has the best service. Alot can happen in a year. Good and bad.

I prefer good :)

Here is one factor that people miss - all the Dish Network Engineers are watching these HD channels too.

Given that they are engineers, you can bet that at least a few of them have big, expensive HD sets.

So, ultimately, they have as much motivation as anyone to get the PQ as good as they can.

Your analogy seems naive. Engineers may want a 20% pay increase but they may only get 3%. I'm sure there are guidelines that even engineer's must follow. I doubt if they have carte blanche over what ultimate picture quality they can or can't provide.

Lol, I really doubt it. If that was true how come the NBC engineers let their crappy HD PQ on golf/live events go so long? They've had YEARS to fix their crappy HD quality (Remember the olympics???) More likely they aren't given the resources/time to fix the problems and have other things to do.

Just so we keep the history of HD on Dish correct.. Back in the day it used to be the HDNets on their own transponder (each channel avging around 18Mbit), and the rest were grouped in 3s. Then came along voom, which for a time some of the channels were native res (1920x1080i) but still grouped 3 per TP. Then they lowered some vooms to 1280x1080i. Next the HDNet TP aquired a 3rd hd channel. Now we are down to 4 mpeg2 HD channels per TP, and 6 mpeg4 HD channels per TP. The only exception are local markets which have 4 mpeg4 channels (using older encoders).

There are still some rare gems on 148W, but I can't see them sticking around forever. My recording of "The Island" from the HDPPV channel from 148W kills the latest showing on starzhd. Its unbelievable the difference in PQ.

Scott, I hope you're right.. But I lost the faith a couple of CES' ago :)

My 18 month commitment ends next month. I will sit back and wait to see what unfolds over the next 6 months. The provider who has the best quality picture and the HD channels that I want will get my business. I have been with E* for 10+ years and would like to stay with them; however, I won't hesitate to switch if another provider offers something better.

... Back in the day it used to be the HDNets on their own transponder (each channel avging around 18Mbit), and the rest were grouped in 3s. Then came along voom, which for a time some of the channels were native res (1920x1080i) but still grouped 3 per TP. Then they lowered some vooms to 1280x1080i. Next the HDNet TP aquired a 3rd hd channel. Now we are down to 4 mpeg2 HD channels per TP, and 6 mpeg4 HD channels per TP. The only exception are local markets which have 4 mpeg4 channels (using older encoders).

There are still some rare gems on 148W, but I can't see them sticking around forever. My recording of "The Island" from the HDPPV channel from 148W kills the latest showing on starzhd. Its unbelievable the difference in PQ.

Scott, I hope you're right.. But I lost the faith a couple of CES' ago :)

Ya, I lost hope a while ago also. The good ole days (class of 2000) are gone forever. No provider is going back to full rez, because they have no incentive to do so. It's all about greed. Those of us with full rez old school displays are doomed to HD Lite for variety, and select content libraries of BluRay/HDDvD for real HD. For $50/mo I'm keeping DishHD, but I won't be silent about what HD should be. And, I also think full rez mpeg4 at 8Mbps is not going to look good enough... 10Mbps maybe.

Hammer

PS If the current Dish HD PQ were so bad, then why would be people be so desperate for Dish to add their favorite SD channel in HD ?

Because most of them are new to their HDTV and never saw how good DBS HD looked in the "good ol days" (circa 12/03). I still have the original 5 channel HDPak from E* and the wife and I probably get 90% of our HDTV viewing from my OTA locals. I'd like to get at least one Starz and one Cinemax movie channel in HD, but E* wants an extra $15 a month for that even though I've been a Starz and Cinemax sub since 1999. BTW, over 50% of our TV viewing is still SD programming, both OTA and via Dish.

Dish has been hung up on the "more channels" pay-TV model since their beginning and it still hasn't occurred to them that the model is a loser in the long run. Why do you think Comcast is touting their superior HD PQ in an expensive advertising blitz?

Carl B.

Surely you jest! Their motivation is in keeping their jobs and that requires them to enhance Charlie's net worth, not produce good HD PQ. E* is a very "tow the line or get out" kind of company. Nobody challenges Charlie's plans and stays employed.

Carl B.

LOL :p

-Gary

Hammer, HBO will be distributing their channels via 8Mbps Mpeg4, I think Dish could easily match that, but their staff shows a history of incompetence, their encodings/muxings are full of so many errors and issues that it is amazing they can keep their job and even worse no one at Dish seems to care about their dropout prone error filled HD channels that choke up even the 942

HD is still a niche and it would seem to me that the people really into it would appreciate and want full quality vs more channels, but I guess I am wrong to some degree, there are plenty folks out there like me and plenty on this forum thankfully

-Gary

Because most of them are new to their HDTV and never saw how good DBS HD looked in the "good ol days" (circa 12/03). I still have the original 5 channel HDPak from E* and the wife and I probably get 90% of our HDTV viewing from my OTA locals.

Carl B.

Whopping 5 channels! I can see why youd rather have quality over quantity, you dont sub to anything.

Surely you jest! Their motivation is in keeping their jobs and that requires them to enhance Charlie's net worth, not produce good HD PQ. E* is a very "tow the line or get out" kind of company. Nobody challenges Charlie's plans and stays employed.

Carl B.

Is this fact because you work/worked there or know someone that did? Or are you just making this up to suit your argument?

Hammer, HBO will be distributing their channels via 8Mbps Mpeg4, I think Dish could easily match that, but their staff shows a history of incompetence, their encodings/muxings are full of so many errors and issues that it is amazing they can keep their job and even worse no one at Dish seems to care about their dropout prone error filled HD channels that choke up even the 942

HD is still a niche and it would seem to me that the people really into it would appreciate and want full quality vs more channels, but I guess I am wrong to some degree, there are plenty folks out there like me and plenty on this forum thankfully

-Gary

They are going to have to match it arent they? If I remember correctly, its going to be required by HBO that providers give it the 8mbps.

yep and that is surprising news, I hope that the original untouched resolution is in the contract also, stuff like this spreads, HBO does it and then maybe Mark Cuban could do it for the HDNets and so on

I could strangle Cuban for not doing it already, he has no excuse for not doing so long ago

it takes the big boys making moves like HBO to get things done, they could do without Dish HD subs by not bucking to their decline of HD PQ if Dish refuses to the contract, this is seriously one of the best things I have heard in a long while, if it isn't BS spin

-Gary

I think HBO requiring a certain picture quality is a good thing. Many producers and directors of movies require that their movies maintain the maker's original vision and presentation when it is shown or made for DVD. I think more premium programmers should demand a certain level of picture quality. After all, we are paying a premium to get their channels already.

He probably prefers quality because he watches his HD with his eyes open! :eek:

You again. If you READ my other post in this thread youll see I state its not level of HD PQ that OTA is, BUT its better than SD and Ill take that anydays. Would you rather have a 100 channels at 480i, or 100 channels of 1280x1080i?

Im sure all of you will say 480i, since we werent around for the "good ol days" and you were :rolleyes:

good signal strengths but still Error 002

Dish HD FREE for 6 months

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)