A question about LNB's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonStevo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
First, it's nice to be back.... And you know I have a problem when I end up here....

Universal LNB? I have read and read till my eye went red!

Is there ONE LNB that will work for all Ku Sat's? I read that the Invacom is the best.

I am looking for a LNB that will get me the FTA and the free channels of the other Sats. I like to scan all sats I can, and NASA is on (for free) a couple of scrambled sats.

Thanks

BTY I cannot spend $$$$$ on one...

JonStevo said:
First, it's nice to be back.... And you know I have a problem when I end up here....

Universal LNB? I have read and read till my eye went red!

Is there ONE LNB that will work for all Ku Sat's? I read that the Invacom is the best.

I am looking for a LNB that will get me the FTA and the free channels of the other Sats. I like to scan all sats I can, and NASA is on (for free) a couple of scrambled sats.

Thanks

BTY I cannot spend $$$$$ on one...

Most True FTA Channles use a KU LNBF.

PBS, hopefully those lnb will none break the bank. I see it on ebay for $105 + shipping. Hopefully someone will have a groupbuy on these.

Do they make a similar LNB thats not a quad ???? I'm guessing that is why they are so expensive (QPH-301) ..........MK

:(

The QPH-031 says it's:

Available only from Invacom distributors mid June 2005

And you say they are on fleeBay?

Also >$100 is too rich for me right now...

Are there many more transponders/channels that would use the circular lnb in FTA ??? It might not be a bad investment to get one of these Invacom lnbs ..... it would save you from changing and/or trying modifcations. ie. cable ties, crazy glue etc. My quality went fom 50 to 84 on GOLTV when I changed lnbs.

:D :D

The only slots right now that use DBS are 61.5, 82, 91, 110, 119, 148 & 157

The only reason I can see it working well is so you don’t need extra cables, switches and LNB’s if you want both. Or if you have DirecTV and have FTA on AMC4 (101). This is the only slot right now with both KU and DBS.

I have a KU and a DBS hose clamped together and 4 cables running off to 2 2x1 switches. The only other issue is you have to manually (1.2, not USALS) aim the dish for the DBS slots. As an example, when I want Nimiq2 (82) it is around 76W, because it is next to the KU slot. I know when I am on SBS6, I can get a semi decent signal on N2 without moving it.

If you have one recever, it isn’t worth it (IMO)

Would I get one….probably….with 2 receivers setup on the motorized, it might be worth it

Thats where I get a little confused........The spot where the KU lnb works is not the spot where the clamped Circular lnb works. I haven't yet discover the touch for aiming the second lnb at the same sat.......From what I read you can cover 40 deg with multiple lnbs and catch quite a few sats without moving the dish. Its all about the placement and angles. I am nowhere near to trying this yet as I am testing my dish on my back deck and it is not the optimum spot because of tree issues. In spite of this I am still getting most sats and most transponders, but I know I am still missing lots. At least I am getting some things stored into the memory for future tests. I might grab on of those lnb clamps you see on ebay that hold 2 or 3 lnbs and try fooling with that or maybe I can get one from someone on this site ????

:yes :yes

Not worth it in my mind.

If you are motorized, get a hose clamp at a hardware store (I can get them for like 99 cents). Put your motor at true south and put the DBS LNB right next to it (on either side) and clamp it on there. Thing to remember is it will be about 5 degrees off the KU slot. So as an example, my true south is IA6 (93). If I put the DBS on the right (from looking behind), its at 88-89..if its on the left, its now at 98-99

See the below for how it looks : )

Last edited:
Looks good.....So, just flush against the original with no bend or angle ????

Thanks, I will try that. :) :)

yep...you may have to adjust it but I made it identical to the KU band...when you move the dish, the LNB will be in line :)

Iceberg, I'm using plastic ties, never though of a hose clamp. I will try that tonight.

maddawg said:
Iceberg, I'm using plastic ties, never though of a hose clamp. I will try that tonight.

I use to use that too...but the winter in MN can be brutal for those. My only issue is I keep buying ones that are too big :D

no
there are 2 bands
standard and extended

The extended is for Cubavision at PAS9 (58). I dont know of anything else between 58-148 thast uses the extended band
the 22k is for the frequencies

Well, I have tried this

I have a "universal LNB" with a dish or DTV, I forget, LND attached to the right side. Both go to a switch, Then to the rotor and back to my 2500A.

If I use the Dish/DTV LNB I can get at couple of channels (NASA) off 101 or 109 (I dont remember which one) BUT I get nothing at all from the main LNB, might it be buggered up?

Thanks

I have received Gol using a standard LNBF. I will try NASA with the universal sometime soon.

In this case try connecting the main LNB without going though the switch and rotor.

What size dish are you using?

JonStevo said:
I have a "universal LNB" with a dish or DTV, I forget, LND attached to the right side. Both go to a switch, Then to the rotor and back to my 2500A.

If I use the Dish/DTV LNB I can get at couple of channels (NASA) off 101 or 109 (I dont remember which one) BUT I get nothing at all from the main LNB, might it be buggered up?

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.