A question about the Tube channel......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilyarbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
Today around 1:00PM CDST, I noticed on my affiliate NBC station that multicasts the Tube out of Huntsville, AL (WAFF 48) that there were multiple interruptions of music videos for some stupid U.S. Virgin Islands commercial. In the middle of the Ray Charles music video, he was singing and all of a sudden the commercial pops up. When it finished, the music video was almost over with. This makes me believe that it is being inserted at the affiliate station because if the Tube itself was needing advertising now between music videos, that would be making a smooth transition between commercial and music videos. Instead, its breaking up music videos. I'm thinking that my local affiliate station is wanting more money and is going to try these during the channel callsign segments between music videos. This will tick me off if my local station starts inserting commercials in between music videos just to make more money for them.

I'll verify the commercials are at the affiliate's station... I haven't seen any commercials here, and The Tube's been my test channel today while I set up the DirecPC fixed G10R dish for the bedroom :D

thanks charredpc

That will tick me off if my affiliate station starts inserting commercials between musicvideos to make money. I'm sure the station probably needs the money for all the expenses involved in operating two transmitters until they no longer need to operate both, but it will be very aggravating to have to watch commercial advertisements between music videos.

Thats how broadcasters make their money, while I agree they are annoying, it is a necessary evil.

If it wasnt for those commercials, there would be no The Tube on broadcast at all.

However, it sounds like their commercial inserter is misreading the cuetones on the feed. as I am sure The Tube inserts inaudable cuetones..

The Seachange equipment we have here for local commercial insertion sometimes messes up, if the tone sensor is mis-adjusted (this is for local commercials on national feeds for a cable company.. when you see a local commerical on CNN, thats done at the head end, and is what I am talking about... I am sure that broadcasters do it in a similar way.)

yeah.......

I hate those local commercials inserted on the national channels on cable too.

I believe I read something in the press release issued when Raycom-owned channels started carrying The Tube that commericals would be inserted by local affiliates.

I watch the tube every day for 1-1.5 hours while on the treadmill (the KU Feed), and I've never seen commercials... though they do put padding in there to accomodate them. (The little mini interviews, graphics, etc)

Iceberg said:
G10
V

Thanks Iceberg, Since I deleted all the transponders, I didn't have one to go for, and if I am going to go for one, why not make it the TUBE!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts