A-Rod Wins MVP (as expected)

First off, 2 hands are better than 1. Secondly, I'm sure his teammates might have had something to do with the Yankee's success. Of course if he single-handedly carried them into the playoffs, then he single-handledly didn't get them to the world series, again. :D
Quit flip-flopping about this guy Salsa. Until this thread , I don't recall you saying anything positive about him.

I don't flip-flop because I don't like him....but just because I don't like him does not mean that he is not a good ball player. I will always stick up for what is right, even if it means standing up for someone that I don't like.:cool:

It was clear enough to the writers of EVERY OTHER city that A-Rod deserved the MVP award - but not to the 2 homeys. :eek:

I wouldn't think twice if someone from another city had chosen Magglio - but to defend this is foolish. I mean they voted for Magglio, but he was not this years MVP. Again, that is not to take away the fact that he had a great year, and is a great ballplayer. :cool:

IMO, RBI is probably the most over-rated and most misleading stat in baseball. It's a function of the batters ahead in the lineup. If THEY don't do the job then there aren't opportunities for RBI. So if your lineup isn't stacked it isn't possible to have a monster RBI season. In this case it doesn't apply: the Tigers were an excellent offensive team (2nd to the Yankees by about 80 runs).

Magglio beat A-Rod in BA, OBP, H, and 2B. A-Rod beat Magglio in TB, SLG, BB; and by a wide margin HR, R, and SB. And A-Rod did it playing 1330 innings at 3B; much more physically challenging than 1221 innings in the OF. Defensively he ranked 3rd in FPCT among AL 3B who started 75% of games at 3B.

Despite the Yankees' ability to score runs, they had a couple of extended spells where the only runs they scored were the runs A-Rod manufactured. He carried the team for a couple of significant stretches, and the team won the wild card in a close race. He had a positive impact (I just wish he had more post season impact).

I'd have to go there. The key to value in a team sport is how much VALUE the player brings to his TEAM. Did the player have a big year? Remove him, and how would his team have done (would they have won anything)?

Ordonez had a great year. But the Tigers started hunting & fishing early this year. Take him out of the lineup and they still go home for October.

There really isn't much question that the Yankees would not have been the Wild Card without A-Rod. His VALUE to his team was clearly higher.

Actually the Tigers MVP should have been Gary Sheffield.
Look what happened to the team when HE went down ....

Jimbo

It was clear enough to the writers of EVERY OTHER city that A-Rod deserved the MVP award - but not to the 2 homeys. :eek:

I wouldn't think twice if someone from another city had chosen Magglio - but to defend this is foolish. I mean they voted for Magglio, but he was not this years MVP. Again, that is not to take away the fact that he had a great year, and is a great ballplayer. :cool:

You can bet your BOTTOM dollar if Maggs had the year A-Rod did and most everyone thought that Maggs should win even thou A0Rod had an excellent year, the NY writers taht vote would have voted for A-Rod not Maggs.

I personally don't see what the big fuss is over him not getting 2 lousy votes, it happens in other sports as well as baseball.

Jimbo

Despite the Yankees' ability to score runs, they had a couple of extended spells where the only runs they scored were the runs A-Rod manufactured. He carried the team for a couple of significant stretches, and the team won the wild card in a close race. He had a positive impact (I just wish he had more post season impact).

This part you could say about ANY player that had a good year.
Maggs did the same for the Tigers.

Please post the defensive stats for the AL 3rd basemen, I do not know how they arrive at the figures and would like to see how the players ended up.

Jimbo

One other thing you guys seem to be forgetting....
This SHOULD be the norm for Maggs, as this was the first year we could see what he was all about entirely because he's been injured so much the last 5-6 years. This year he was mostly healthy.

Jimbo

One other thing you guys seem to be forgetting....
This SHOULD be the norm for Maggs, as this was the first year we could see what he was all about entirely because he's been injured so much the last 5-6 years. This year he was mostly healthy.

Jimbo

What do you mean....? He played 155 games last year. He has only missed significant games in 2004(52 games), his last year with the CWS and 2005(82 games), his 1st year with the Tigers. The year before that he played 160, 153, 160 and 157 respectively.

What do you mean....? He played 155 games last year. He has only missed significant games in 2004(52 games), his last year with the CWS and 2005(82 games), his 1st year with the Tigers. The year before that he played 160, 153, 160 and 157 respectively.

Really ?
I didn't look it up, but I remember the anouncers specifiaclly saying that Maggs has been injured alot the last several years with Chicago, I really didn't follow him specifically before he came here, Always thought he'd be pretty damn good if he could stay healthy.
I know there is a clause in his contract about playing in a certian number of games so the Tigfers were concerned originally ...

He also has a threat to protect him this year (Sheffield) much the same as what A Rod has in NY every year. People pitched to Maggs more this year because when Shef was in there he was the one being pitched around.

Jimbo

52 the year he was traded and 82 the first year in Detroit isn't enough for you to considered he was injured ?

He played the most this year for Detroit and if he continues to play 150 G a year he should put up comperable numbers, maybe not the avg, but the consistance is the important part. Driving in runs, he's NOT a home run hitter for those that thought that when he got here, he hits his share but I would not consider him a HR hitter.

Jimbo

52 the year he was traded and 82 the first year in Detroit isn't enough for you to considered he was injured ?

He played the most this year for Detroit and if he continues to play 150 G a year he should put up comperable numbers, maybe not the avg, but the consistance is the important part. Driving in runs, he's NOT a home run hitter for those that thought that when he got here, he hits his share but I would not consider him a HR hitter.

Jimbo

I am only commenting on the fact that you said he was mostly injured for 5 or 6 seasons...and that was not the case. Look, there is NO DOUBT he is a great hitter......he has shown it when he has been healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts