A router that "requires" a certain internet speed to function???

StanDarsh

PIT MEMBER
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Georgia and such
So I'm asking because over the years, I've used all sorts of routers from different manufacturers and never heard of such behavior of a router "requiring" a certain speed internet to function as it should...however, there is one that I am privy to that will require at least 50mbps in order to operate. I'm just wondering what would be the purpose of such a requirement?
This would be a residential/consumer grade router...not a business class router..
I was specifically told that it would be a requirement ... so I'm trying to figure out what would create that need?
I have about 2 more weeks before I find out firsthand, just curious if anyone can enlighten me beforehand?

(it's a straight-up router, not a cable modem -- or modem of any type. Just a router. Possibly some sort of mesh system, but will be wifi 6)

I was specifically told that it would be a requirement ... so I'm trying to figure out what would create that need?
Without knowing what router you're talking about and what features it claims, you're not going to get much in the way of valuable feedback.

It is possible that it is a cloud-based router -- whomever thought that was a good idea should be euthanized.

The router isn't in public domain yet and, sure, I could tell everyone the code-name that we've been given for it..but it wouldn't mean much. I can't get as much as a model number until the 2nd week of October ... Not a small company that's making it though.

My question, why would you even be interested in such a router if it's just a straight-up router that does nothing special?

Interest isn't the reason I'll be using it.
Herein lies the failure of this thread to excite. Without knowing what it is designed to do better or for the first time, there's precious little reason for interest. The name or the manufacturer isn't important.

Getting the best performance is much more important than distractions like Android underpinnings or adding an element of cloud buzz to the mix that may only add a ingress for malware.

Herein lies the failure of this thread to excite. Without knowing what it is designed to do better or for the first time, there's precious little reason for interest. The name or the manufacturer isn't important.

Getting the best performance is much more important than distractions like Android underpinnings or adding an element of cloud buzz to the mix that may only add a ingress for malware.

I simply asked what would be the purpose of having a speed requirement. Never boasted or tried to advertise about feature-rich functionality, because I have no idea what it can do. I just don't understand the need for a certain speed internet.

Reactions: TheKrell
To handle multiple hd streams...
I simply asked what would be the purpose of having a speed requirement. Never boasted or tried to advertise about feature-rich functionality, because I have no idea what it can do. I just don't understand the need for a certain speed internet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell
The reason would be to minimize the number of customer service complaints from people that don't have any effing clue of the difference between LAN and WAN. :shh

"You told me this router can do 300Mbs, but speedtest is only showing me 5Mbs."
"And what service do you have?"
"I'm on DSL 5 miles from the node."
"There's yer sign" LOL

Without knowing something about what it claims to be able to do, we can't begin to guess why it has a minimum bandwidth requirement.

It could be that the entity that is to hyping it is trying to make it sound more mysterious/exclusive.

I think I have them covered on the internet speed requirement...

Attachments

• fiber-test.PNG
    fiber-test.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 259
Without knowing something about what it claims to be able to do, we can't begin to guess why it has a minimum bandwidth requirement.

It could be that the entity that is to hyping it is trying to make it sound more mysterious/exclusive.

I would think they would hype it to the general public upon release. Not to a small group of external folks who are privy to it.

The only thing I know for sure, it's some sort of mesh system.

I would think they would hype it to the general public upon release. Not to a small group of external folks who are privy to it.
That's not how a groundswell of interest begins. They start with a group that considers themselves insiders and they use those insiders to spread the gospel when the product comes to market. It is a popular human hack with crowdfunded projects.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Docsis? Cable internet providers have a minimum Docsis requirement for the modem/router. The link below will give you an explanation of what Docsis is, what it does, what the different levels are, and why you need it.

What Is DOCSIS and Why Does It Matter?

I don't have cable internet. Fiber. They specifically asked and stated this was a router / mesh-wifi system.

That's not how a groundswell of interest begins. They start with a group that considers themselves insiders and they use those insiders to spread the gospel when the product comes to market. It is a popular human hack with crowdfunded projects.

This isn't a small group, it's a large networking company.

I don't have cable internet. Fiber. They specifically asked and stated this was a router / mesh-wifi system.
Sure you do, copper wire or fiber optic, it's still cable and they all require a modem except the fiber modem is specific to fiber. Copper wire cable modems and fiber modems are not interchangeable. I would suggest that you ask the provider exactly what the spec is they're asking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)