A simple request for posters

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
Not sure where this should be posted:

I am making a request that we use the word local, only to mean the actual local information only available from your mom and pop rebroadcasting facility.
If you mean the National programming available from the national provider, then use National or Network. that way there is less confusion within the industry.

An example would be:
Need help getting locals: (I really want to see bubba riding around on a tractor...)
Need help getting National programming. (I want ABC, NBC...)

It suprises me, the number of washington people that think WE want LIL. I suspect that we really don't want LIL, but rather, access to National programming that we can only get through LIL. I say, to heck with the 2 bit money hungry vampires. Disband the local rebroadcasting network and streamline it to only a few National networks.

Or at least give me the option. If I want my national programming from the local affiliate so be it. But if I would rather get it from a national provider, then let me. It seems that the NAB is scared of this idea, I wonder why? Maybe they suspect, as do I, that the majority of folks would rather not put up with the local used car salesman rading around on a horse. And would opt for the national provider option.

Ok, some may agree with you, but I believe there is still a huge market for LIL in America. I agree with you on the part that it should be our decision if we want just the national feed, however.

The national feeds will not show you local weather or weather warnings. Most people want both the national feeds AND local news/weather/alerts.

Isn't that what Dish Home Channel 100 is for?

If you want national feeds, give All American Direct (I think?) a call and see if they'll give you the national network feeds.

Here in Nebraska we need our locals for up to the minute weather information. Storms and tornadoes can form in seconds and national news and the weather channel are too slow to post warnings for us. Local information from our local stations saves many lives.

I suspect that we really don't want LIL, but rather, access to National programming that we can only get through LIL.
You suspect wrong.

Maybe tweaks like us who have an interest in the technology etc. and frequent an Internet BB about satellite transmission might find that acceptable (but I doubt that even here you would find a majority) but I can assure you that the hoi polloi want to see their local weather girl.

I laugh at all these arguments that one satellite company is leading the other for some such reason as one is doing "HD-Lite" and the other "Full" or that the VOD of one is superior to the other.

If one company has HD LIL and the other does not, guess who wins?

Without the revenue generated by fred riding his horse. There would be NO incentive for weather and local news. It is ALL about advertising revenue and PROFIT. No ads NO news. You may not be concerned about the weather or who got shot yesterday or this morning. But I for one am. I agree we should have the choice but again. It all falls down to revenue. Lobbyists etc.... commercials, commercials,commercials,commercials...

I am making a request that we use the word local, only to mean the actual local information only available from your mom and pop rebroadcasting facility.
If you mean the National programming available from the national provider, then use National or Network. that way there is less confusion within the industry.

You are confusing two different things.

You say use the word local, but the rest of your post is about a philosophical argument about the difference between broadcast networks and local channels.

The reality is that your point of view has been defeated months ago.

The National Association of Broadcasters have succesfully crushed all attempts to allow people to access broadcast networks from channels outside their local area, so as of now, broadcast network = local channel, whether we like it or not.

Local News via LIL is very important to a lot of people. As a matter of fact, that is about the ONLY thing I watch on LIL, but I live in L.A., so our local news is often more entertaining, dramatic and heart stopping than any of the crap on the broadcast networks.

We really do rely on LIL news for information on traffic, weather (killer mudslides, floods, storms destroying piers and homes), killer wild fires, earthquakes, those oh so popular live high-speed pursuits that sometimes end in better crash and bangs than the fictional stuff, and our beloved local politicians of the city council and board of supervisors with their stupid ideas and sensational press conferences guaranteed to provide the news editors with "you gotta see this video" stunts and visuals so they get their names on the 5 o'clock news, and LAPD Chief Bratton basically telling Britney Spears and those dopey celebs who choose to go to the only 5 restaurants in all of L.A. (out of the 68,000 others) guaranteed to have paparazzi to start behaving themselves and present a better example to their adoring fans, and Sheriff Bacca can always be counted on for those energetic, indignant quotes chastising those lazy parents who don't keep tabs on their gangland kids.

LIL is a must and is STILL the primary reason people won't subscribe to satellite. There is a very good economic reason both Direct and Dish spend tons of $$$ and bandwidth on LIL: People want it on satellite more than just about anything.

An example would be:
Need help getting locals: (I really want to see bubba riding around on a tractor...)

It suprises me, the number of washington people that think WE want LIL. I suspect that we really don't want LIL, but rather, access to National programming that we can only get through LIL. I say, to heck with the 2 bit money hungry vampires. Disband the local rebroadcasting network and streamline it to only a few National networks.

Or at least give me the option. If I want my national programming from the local affiliate so be it. But if I would rather get it from a national provider, then let me. It seems that the NAB is scared of this idea, I wonder why? Maybe they suspect, as do I, that the majority of folks would rather not put up with the local used car salesman rading around on a horse. And would opt for the national provider option.

No.

An example would be:

No. Because you don't care for local content is your problem... 90% of us want LIL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts