A 'Skew'ed view of setup.

homewhileyoudrive

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
RV Full Time, USA
Hello all, it's been a while since my last post. But come across another question. Anyways I am a little confused with setting my 1000.2 back up after a heavy windstorm and forgetting to write down the original settings that had worked. I went looking the resources I found for the settings, but still having problems getting aligned correctly. Here are the settings I have come across so far.

Dish Receiver: El- 39, Az- 149 and Sk- 81
Dishpointer.com: El- 39.1, Az(true)- 174.2, Az(mag-using)- 158.4 and Sk- 85.8
Dish Tech Portal (PDF, address can be posted if requested): El- 39, Az- 156 and Sk- 86

Of course elevation is practically the same on all 3 and Azimuth varies anyways. But the skew is a pretty big change. So my question is, which one is better to follow for setup? I am thinking it's my Azimuth that is giving me the problems more than anything else with the setup, but I also know the skew is playing a big part of it too.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Vick-HomeWhileYouDrive

Added note forgoten in original post - zip code 97403

Last edited:
I got the same angles from dishpointer.com

Address: 97403
Latitude: 44.0350°
Longitude: -123.0474°
Satellite: Dish 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W)
Elevation: 39.1°
Azimuth (true): 174.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 158.3°
Dish Skew: 85.8°

Does it look like the skew on the dish was moved when the dish was blown off? I'd start with the azimuth to see what signals you can get, and then change the skew if necessary

I was just out there in the rain checking things again. I was able to get sat 110, but not 119 or 129. The setting are setup for dishpointer.com settings. So I am thinking maybe the skew might be off. But I also tried the skew that was listed on the receiver and got the same result. So still a bit baffled. Will keep messing with it.

Originally before the storm it was port 1: 119, port 2: 110, port 3: 129. After the storm and setting back up, the only sat I receive now is 110 either on port 1 or port 2 depending on the azimuth. At least that is what I have gotten so far since setting back up.

That's good it was showing up correctly before the storm at least. As for the mast, yes it as level as I can get it. The bubble is centered perfectly on the bubble level and even used an external level to check it as well.

Are you using a meter of any sort? You can try covering the outer LNBs (110 and 129 LNBs) with aluminum foil, set the skew and elevation, then peak the signal as high as possible for 119. Once you get it high enough, remove the foil and run a check switch. Ideally, this would get you all 3 signals

I have tried the meter in the past and it didn't provide much help (could have been that I wasn't using it correctly), can try it again. It's the Winegard Satellite Finder Model SF 1000. I used soda cans with the tops cut off instead of foil the last time I tried. Will try with the tin foil this time. See if I can peak 119 on the center lnb. Be back shortly.

Just to clarify. The setting on the receiver I got off of dishformyrv.com's product info page is; dish system 500, transponder 11 and satellite 119. Is that correct? That is what I have been using since I got the new dish.

Just to clarify. The setting on the receiver I got off of dishformyrv.com's product info page is; dish system 500, transponder 11 and satellite 119. Is that correct? That is what I have been using since I got the new dish.

The 500 is designed to only pick up 119 and 110. I'd use the angles from dishpointer.com for any 1000.x dish, and use 119 t21 to watch signal levels

The receiver doesn't have the software to provide pointing angles for the 1000.2

OK finally got it to connect to 119 on center lnb. Running check switch test and the results are port 1: 119, port 2 110 and port 3 Conn. Which if I remember right is no connection. So that probably means my skew is still off a tad. Right now the skew is at between 85 and 86 more towards the 86 as dishpointer.com lists it is 85.8. So now I need to see which direction I need to go on the skew to get the signal for all 3 lnb's correctly.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Just working on the skew now to see if I can get all 3 connected to the satellites. I do thank you so much for your help. It's weird how I was able to set it up no problem when I first got the new dish. But now since the storm I am having problems. I even checked for damage to the lnb arm, the dish and the lnb's and I couldn't find anything. Nothing was tweaked, bent or moved other then the position of the tripod legs.

OK, will do if I can't get this figured out tonight. So far I have been able to get port 1: 119 and port 2: 110, but still nothing on port 3. Will play with the skew a little more and then if I can't I will pm you. Once again thank you for the help you have been. I have made it further the evening, then I have the past 2 days with your help.

OK, will do if I can't get this figured out tonight. So far I have been able to get port 1: 119 and port 2: 110, but still nothing on port 3. Will play with the skew a little more and then if I can't I will pm you. Once again thank you for the help you have been. I have made it further the evening, then I have the past 2 days with your help.

Sounds good! Let us know if you're able to get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)