A start to a la carte?

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
Verizon FIOS will start letting customers opt in — and out — of the cable channels they get as part of their pay television service — the first move by a major provider toward a la carte service.
Read more here: http://wtvr.com/2015/04/17/verizon-fios-pick-channels-new-option/

Not a true "pay for each channel" but more a "pay for each programming type". An interesting thought. I'd love to see the prices and exact channels.

These kind of packages were the norm in Canada for a number of years. Ultimately, they provided the illusion of choice but not much savings as there was always a desirable channel you wanted on another bundle and they designed it that way to encourage you to take many or all of them. By the time you were done getting your "must haves", there wasn't much savings. But if you could weed out a few of them, you could shave maybe 20% off the bill.

I wish Dish Pix would come back as long as they add Weather Nation, ID is a choice and I can keep Extra Innings.

What would the difference be in what Verizon is doing, and what Dish did with SlingTV? Except Sling upgrades are $5, compared to Verizon at $10

I guess it's fair to say this is a start. But as many have pointed out in articles online it's also fair to say few will really save any real money unless you are willing to probably not get some channels you want. $65 mandatory to start, then $10 per pack.
I have to agree, how is that anything great? I will say this however, as time goes on and contracts with the programmers are negotiated they may aim for a base package that costs less with more choices for add on packs.

Wait... I didn't see the $65 minimum fee. And that is with 35 base channels, and then $10 to add the groups you want. And God forbid you do not agree with how a channel is packaged(we all say ESPN should be in a sports pack, but what if someone said it should be in a full Disney pack)

Actually, it's $65 for the basic and that includes two packs. The way it reads you have to get at least two packs.
Also to be fair there may be more details, good or bad that are not clear yet.

I guess it's fair to say this is a start. But as many have pointed out in articles online it's also fair to say few will really save any real money unless you are willing to probably not get some channels you want. $65 mandatory to start, then $10 per pack.
I have to agree, how is that anything great? I will say this however, as time goes on and contracts with the programmers are negotiated they may aim for a base package that costs less with more choices for add on packs.
I currently pay $90 for 25/25 internet and the Select TV package from Verizon Fios which excludes sports. I don't see this as any bargain if the min is $65.

I currently pay $90 for 25/25 internet and the Select TV package from Verizon Fios which excludes sports. I don't see this as any bargain if the min is $65.

But that $65 includes broadband, so you would save $25 dollars.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1429378697.142245.jpg

Verizon unveils new FiOS TV bundles as ESPN questions validity

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com...s-new-ways-to-customize-fios-tv-subscription/

Verizon Communications introduced Thursday a set of new packages for its FiOS TV service that allows customers to choose the networks they watch, an acknowledgment that many TV fans view a limited number of channels.

Scheduled to be rolled out on April 19, the new product, called FiOS Custom TV, comes with a $55-a-month base package of channels that includes local broadcast stations and some of the most popular channels, including CNN, HGTV, AMC and Food Network. Subscribers also get two of the seven genre-specific channel packs — kids, pop culture, lifestyle, entertainment, news & info, sports and sports plus.

But its plans quickly ran into opposition from arguably the most important cable network. ESPN said Friday that Verizon’s packs would violate the terms of their existing contracts. “Media reports about Verizon’s new contemplated bundles describe packages that would not be authorized by our existing agreements,” ESPN said in a statement. “Among other issues, our contracts clearly provide that neither ESPN nor ESPN2 may be distributed in a separate sports package.”

Seems so, but that would make that package cost more. This is exactly why I mentioned Verizon may have to wait till contracts are up for negotiation before they can initiate a more favorable plan. My thought immediately was if they can do this so could DISH, and if anyone wants sports separate it's DISH. They would create a package with ESPN and RSN's in a NY minute. (Yes I reference NY purposely)

The problem with what Verizon is trying to do is that your still at $55 per month for a handful of channels.

You might as well pay the extra $20 and get the full package.

What people want is a handful of channels for around $20 per month, WITHOUT ESPN.
So again,.. Like SlingTV? I really am not seeing a huge programming difference in what SlingTV is doing, and what Verizon is doing.

The article I saw said the Verizon stuff was a minimum $55/mo for alacarte
The "ala carte" that they are talking about is programming type packages. So a sports package, a kids package, a news pckage etc. same thing SlingTV is going, except they are doing it for $20/month with $5 packages. Verizon wants $55(65)/month that is a base package and required two add ons, anything extra is $10 each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts