A/V jack on Roku 2 HD

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I've got one of the Roku boxes that Dish was giving away a while back and want to connect it to my older TV that doesn't have an HDMI connection. It's got DVI, component, and RCA only. I've got an HDMI-to-DVI cable but need audio. Looking at Roku's site, they describe having a "special" cable - so I'm guessing a 3.5mm-to-RCA won't work. I think I have one around here somewhere that I could try but have to find it first....

Does anyone know if it's really a special cable ? Does video pass through both outputs at the same time ?

The HD has analog audio outputs in addition to HDMI. All you need is a pair of analog audio cables and an HDMI to DVI cable, like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2

There is no output configuration, so I assume both are active. I suspect the "special cable" is the HDMI to DVI one. You say 3.5mm. Does that mean there is no rca red/white audio inputs on the TV? Strange.

Is it possible the 3.5 is an output on the TV, not an input? Analog sound is analog sound, unlike video... if there is an RCA output for sound on the Roku, any RCA out to 3.5 in cable would work, assuming the 3.5 on the TV is for input.

Last edited:
That's what I was trying to get at. I've never seen a 3.5mm input. Every DVI input I've been involved with also hada pair of RCA analog inputs associated with it.

This Roku model has (3) connections, HDMI, "A/V jack" (don't recall if it says in or out ... no idea why it would be an input), and power. That A/V jack is 3.5mm.

I did in fact have the right cable - and it works. The A/V jack is an OUTPUT and is active at the same time as HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)