A video for the Cincinnati Fans

televisionarchives

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 25, 2008
Cincinnati Reds Fans will enjoy this. I can't upload the whole thing but here is the 1975 World Series as it was broadcast in 1975. Click the link to go to the video. Look at Bob Montgomery at bat at the start of the clip. Notice he's not wearing a batting helmet? Starting in 1971 it was mandatory. Anyone have the answer why he isn't?
1975 World Series video by televisionarchives - PhotobucketI got this from a NBC Employee in Ohio.

Last edited:
That looks like Rawly Eastwick pitching for the Reds.

Cincinnati Reds Fans will enjoy this. I can't upload the whole thing but here is the 1975 World Series as it was broadcast in 1975. Click the link to go to the video. Look at Bob Montgomery at bat at the start of the clip. Notice he's not wearing a batting helmet? Starting in 1971 it was mandatory. Anyone have the answer why he isn't?
1975 World Series video by televisionarchives - PhotobucketI got this from a NBC Employee in Ohio.

If a batter didn't wear a helmet prior to the mandatory date in 1971, the batter was grandfathered in and had the option of not wearing a helmet till the end of his career. Bob Montgomery was the last player to not wear a helmet and continued to do so until he retired in 1979.

If a batter didn't wear a helmet prior to the mandatory date in 1971, the batter was grandfathered in and had the option of not wearing a helmet till the end of his career. Bob Montgomery was the last player to not wear a helmet and continued to do so until he retired in 1979.
Correct, but Bob Montgomery was one of a few players that used a new kind of batting helmet that looked like a regular cap but it was hard. I don't know when he used it and if he was using it here, but he did use it at one time. It was an regular looking thing and you had to look at it close to notice the difference between a regular cap and the helmet cap.

Correct, but Bob Montgomery was one of a few players that used a new kind of batting helmet that looked like a regular cap but it was hard. I don't know when he used it and if he was using it here, but he did use it at one time. It was an regular looking thing and you had to look at it close to notice the difference between a regular cap and the helmet cap.

When I was a kid, I thought it was strange that Monty didn't wear a batting helmet at the plate (later found out about the special cap), and his teammate, George Scott wore a batting helmet IN THE FIELD.

When I was a kid, I thought it was strange that Monty didn't wear a batting helmet at the plate (later found out about the special cap), and his teammate, George Scott wore a batting helmet IN THE FIELD.

They started wearing those hat/helmets in the 40's I think, maybe 50's because I saw Mantle wearing one in some video of Ken Burns series. John Olerud wore a helmet in the field too.

I have video of a game when they talked about it. I believe it was a ABC Monday Night game . If I find it I will post it. George Scott did wear the helmet, I forgot about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)