a vip622, Cincinnati and Local HD - I smell a comedy

Who Dey Wesley

Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
VIP622, Local Cincinnati HD, and an OTA Antenna

Ok...so I got Dish Network installed on Friday after some hesitation, and this is my first post. I live in the Cincinnati area, and was told I would need an OTA antenna to get my local HD channels. I was also told that those channels would appear in my program guide with program information provided...but that doesn't seem to be the case, all it says is "Digital Service." I guess I have the following questions:

1) Is there any way to get program information displayed in the guide for the local OTA HD Channels?

2) Can I record 2 HD broadcasts at once from the big 4 networks? For instance if "24" and "Jericho" came on at the same time...could I record both of them with the setup I have? (OTA Antenna into the 622).

3) Can I get the big 4 networks in HD via Dish Network? I remember a long time ago they offered New York and LA ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX...but I think a court ruling caused that to stop.

4) Does anyone know an accurate time frame for when Dish Network is rolling out local hd channels in Cincinnati? Everything I've found before said by the end of 2006...but who knows what that means in Dish Network Standard Time.

Sorry, I realize this post went on and on...but these are all questions I have that Dish Network Tech Support could not accurately answer...in fact, they didn't know you could record an OTA program with the 622, so I trust the answers of those in this forum more.

Thanks Guys!

Ok...so I got Dish Network installed on Friday after some hesitation, and this is my first post. I live in the Cincinnati area, and was told I would need an OTA antenna to get my local HD channels. I was also told that those channels would appear in my program guide with program information provided...but that doesn't seem to be the case, all it says is "Digital Service." I guess I have the following questions:

1) Is there any way to get program information displayed in the guide for the local OTA HD Channels?

2) Can I record 2 HD broadcasts at once from the big 4 networks? For instance if "24" and "Jericho" came on at the same time...could I record both of them with the setup I have? (OTA Antenna into the 622).

3) Can I get the big 4 networks in HD via Dish Network? I remember a long time ago they offered New York and LA ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX...but I think a court ruling caused that to stop.

4) Does anyone know an accurate time frame for when Dish Network is rolling out local hd channels in Cincinnati? Everything I've found before said by the end of 2006...but who knows what that means in Dish Network Standard Time.

Sorry, I realize this post went on and on...but these are all questions I have that Dish Network Tech Support could not accurately answer...in fact, they didn't know you could record an OTA program with the 622, so I trust the answers of those in this forum more.

Thanks Guys!

1. You need to have SD locals in your plan in order to get the OTA HD profgram info.

2. No. Not from OTA. Only one OTA tuner.

3. Not if Dish does not have Cincy HD locals which they apparently don't...same here in Indy.

4. Not a clue.

I ordered SD locals today just so I can record multiple programs at the same time...better to have them in SD than not at all. How do I go about making sure the HD OTA channels reflect the SD Satellite channels program guide info? Will it do this automatically?

I ordered SD locals today just so I can record multiple programs at the same time...better to have them in SD than not at all. How do I go about making sure the HD OTA channels reflect the SD Satellite channels program guide info? Will it do this automatically?

You have to give it a couple of hours for the software to pick it up. You may have to force the receiver to download the guide (do a check switch test.)

You have to give it a couple of hours for the software to pick it up. You may have to force the receiver to download the guide (do a check switch test.)

Does the receiver download this info from the satellite, or will I need to hook it up to a phone line or broadband connection?

How do I go about making sure the HD OTA channels reflect the SD Satellite channels program guide info? Will it do this automatically?
Yes, it's automatic. Give it up to 24 hours to fully populate though... How quickly did it populate the guide data for your SD channels ??

By the way, depending where you are, if you can pick up Dayton's locals, it will fill in the guide data for them too (even without the Dayton SD locals).

1) To get program guide info for the OTA channels on the 622/722 you must subscribe to the Standard def Dish Network local channels. You will then get program guide info for local channels 5, 9, 12, 14, 19, 48, 54 and 64 and their sub-channels. It sometimes takes a day or so to get the listings on the OTA. You can also "force" a guide download to hurry the process along.

If you are getting any Dayton channels, channel 43 which says Cincinnati in the ID but it really is a Richmond, IN/Dayton channel those will NOT have program guide info for these with the exception of channel 45.2 which is a MyTV station.

2) You can record 1 program from the OTA antenna, 1 program from TV1 and 1 program from TV2 at the same time. So no, you cannot record two OTA channels at once on the 622/722.

3) Until Dish provides the Cincinnati HD network channels 5, 9, 12, 19 the answer is no. The old NYC and LA CBS channel (the only one available nationwide) went away with the court case that killed all distant networks through Dish Network itself. NPS does not provide HD channels.

4) No. The old time frame went out the window the day after it was released almost. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions!

See ya
Tony

Details, details. :)

Semantics asside, the on screen guide says Ant, TV1 and TV2 when you have items selected to record, They are even color coded. So TV1 and TV2 is what I'll stay with. :)

If you are getting any Dayton channels, channel 43 which says Cincinnati in the ID but it really is a Richmond, IN/Dayton channel those will NOT have program guide info for these with the exception of channel 45.2 which is a MyTV station.

I don't think that is true. I get the Cincinnati guide data and I'm in the Dayton DMA with Dayton locals over the satellite.

I think he's referring to WKOI, the TBN affiliate. Since Dish doesn't carry it normally, they in turn do NOT provide guide data for it when picked up OTA.

I don't think that is true. I get the Cincinnati guide data and I'm in the Dayton DMA with Dayton locals over the satellite.

Um... It is true for me. :) I get channels 2.1, 2.2, 7.1, 7.2, 16.2, 16.3, 16.4, 16.5 16.6, 45.1 and 45.2 from Dayton and 43.1 though 43.5 from Richmond. None have guide data with the exeption of 45.2. I get guide Data for all the Cincy market stations.

WOKI says "Richmond-Cincinnati" in their ID, but they are licensed to Richmond, IN which is part of the Dayton market. However the transmitter is in Butler County which is in the Cincinnati market. But the station is a Dayton station since it is licensed to Richmond. As Hall states also it's not carried by Dish in any event.

See ya
Tony

A different question here but sort of along the same lines...if I were to "move" from Bismarck, ND to Salt Lake City, UT, I could pick up the locals in HD through Dish but not the SD versions because of the spotbeam. Would the program guide have channel information for the HD locals despite the lack of SD locals? I understand that what is being discussed here is OTA locals but I'm just making sure that doesn't apply to Dish locals.

None have guide data with the exeption of 45.2. I get guide Data for all the Cincy market stations.
What receiver(s) do you have ? If I recall, 622/722 and 211 receivers should get the guide data from Dish for *any* OTA channel that is 1) picked up by antenna and 2) has the analog channel carried by Dish.

Hall, I have a 622. This is the way it's been since day one of the sub-channel guide data. Before that none of the Dayton channels had guide data. What is SUPPOSED to happen is you get the guide info for YOUR locals only.

Palacios, as long as you receive the channel via satellite, you get the guide info. OTA channels are a little different.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)