A weird question about line of sight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghc37

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Ok, if you have a slimline that receives 5 satellites at 99-119? degrees then how wide of a horizonal clearing would you need at ~ 50 ft from your house? I hope this makes sense. I'm asking because I have tree issues but I don't want to cut down every tree in the back yard :)

Thank you Spock. Live long and prosper. Seriously, is 17 ft legit?

Give or take.

Here's the math. You have a 20 degree window (119-99). Lay a right triangle out starting at the dish center. Two of these right triangles together make the full window you're looking out of of.

Here's the ascii art.

+xxxx
y
y
y
y
y
y
y

y = 50 ft. x * 2 is what you're looking for. angle is 10 degrees (1/2 of the beamwidth).

tan(10) = x/y = x/50, so 50*tan(10) = x = half the window. Multiply that by 2 for the total width.

17.632 ft.

Now, that assumes a straight shot. Things change because you'll be looking up to, so you have to clear the tops of the trees. Is 17 going to cut it? Maybe not, but you don't need to clear the whole treeline either.

Depending on how recently google maps has been updated where you're at, dishpointer.com can show you how much clearance you need over obstructions.

But, I just did the raw math. YMMV. Live long and prosper!

EKG

Thanks!

Well, I am impressed with your math skills, You must really be Vulcan ;-) I checked out dishpointer.com earlier today and I believe I need about 50 ft clearence from my dish base. I have good signal on all but 99 and 103. I don't think i'll have to cut down any trees, just trim the tops off of a couple on the middle to left side

I was the "oooh, oooh, pick me, pick me" kid in trig class ... :D

Well, I am impressed with your math skills, You must really be Vulcan ;-) I checked out dishpointer.com earlier today and I believe I need about 50 ft clearence from my dish base. I have good signal on all but 99 and 103. I don't think i'll have to cut down any trees, just trim the tops off of a couple on the middle to left side

Um if you are getting 101 you probably are getting 99 and 103. Do you have your BBC's installed?

Um if you are getting 101 you probably are getting 99 and 103. Do you have your BBC's installed?

I am getiing 99 and 103 but signal levels are very marginal, around 50. I'll have to take another look at 101 sig level. I know the other sat sigs are 90-100 range. By the way what is a BBC? :confused: Wait, I think I can answer my own question.. Broadband Converter? Yes there are 2 of them near the end of the cable that connects to the receiver, HR21-100

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)