AAD Distant Nets

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
I received the following e-mail from someone at Dish Network and they told that they contacted upper management at Dish regarding the distant net thing. Here's the reply THEY got:

"I forwarded your email to our Programming Department so that I could find out exactly what the laws are concerning the Distant Networks. The response I was received was as follows: We will not be offering Continental U.S. distant networks. Also, everything concerning AAD will remain in place and as is. The new law will primarily give us the right to import missing network affiliates from adjacent markets into short markets."

Take it for what it's worth. I have a feeling AAD will continue to provide the nationwide distant nets.

Makes sense, because if all the US locals are available (with neighboring locals to fill gaps), then there is no need for Distants.

Other than for RV'ers that is.

Makes sense, because if all the US locals are available (with neighboring locals to fill gaps), then there is no need for Distants.

Other than for RV'ers that is.

And leasing the transponders is an extra source of income for Dish. More than they probably get for selling distant nets.

I find the cost of DN service with AAD outrageous. It is almost $15 / mo plus if you want HD then it is even higher. You cannot access your account or pricing information on line to even review the costs. But since we full time in an RV, I guess we have no other choice. Any suggestions???

Thats because DISH has applied for but not received their licence to offer distant networks.

I am sure once they have that the story will change.

Since they are offering all 210 local markets not many will qualify for distants beyond the Network fillins that will be added.
AAD on the other hand does not offer local channels, so they still have the advantage concerning distant networks.

Remember, not all locals are offered in HD. For those of us stuck with fuzzy vision locals AAD is a valued service.

Now if they would only fix the video dropouts from the HD Chicago stations that have been plaguing us for the past week or so.

It's looking like they were fixed this morning. I must say the pictures are beautiful...and they're mpeg 2?

I just wish they'd put the SF stations in HD.

i would love to see the distant locals on the eastern arc but dont know why they dont put them !

i called dish about a week ago and said they will add them as soon 61.5 get help i wonder how tru is that

There is another thread about the "glitch" but anyway,I called AAD yesterdayand talked to a CSR and he said it was not them and that I should call DISH and get a new receiver. I just got one so I know it was not the box since it only does this on their HD feeds out of Chicago. By the way AAD was bought out by some other company.......cannot remember the name but it did not sound good.:rant::(:confused:

More like a name change? You'd think the HD would be on 61.5 and 129...life was easier b4 eastern arc.

The glitch doesn't seem as bad, but I've noticed it this afternoon...not every minute or two however. Otherwise the picture is beautiful!

My Distant Networks is a very small portion of AAD,or Sobongo as it is now called. They make their money from their shopping website. They could care less if our picture freezes. Every time I have to call them,they are more concerned about selling everything from cell phones to Hughesnet dishes, instead of the Distant network problem I'm having. (billing picture whatever) The CSR was either lying or clueless if they blamed your box.
I would probably cancel except I'm going to lose my NY distant HD nets over on D* when they add my locals later this year.

Speaking of AAD Distants, my parents are considering getting the HD for life upgrade and will be getting a new dish for the Eastern Arc. Are the AAD distants available at these locations or will they lose their distants if they install the new Eastern Arc dish?

AAD locals are only on 119 (SD) and 110 (HD)

but you can hook a LNB from 119 or 110 up to the EA dish

i dont get tho

i thot both arc's should have the same channels other then the RSN which that to is weird

there place which only allow 1 Dish out side the house

will see how tru dish is about adding them to both Arc's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)