ABC 99w Network Feeds Transitioned to DVBS2 HEVC 4:2:2

Sounds like we're back to game they played with Beta Max and VHS. Have to wait to see which format will be the standard. Is there a STB that will do both?

Betamax and VHS are at least similar media. H.265 is a video encoding scheme (compression) and 4:2:2 relates to 10-bit color (subsampling).

As far as a receiver that will decode both, several have been mentioned in previous posts (including the Edision OS MIO 4K). Almost all receivers on the market today will decode and display H.265. There are none that I know of that will also display 4:2:2 via HDMI. It must be streamed to a PC or other compatible device.

4:2:2 HEVC is not supported by any STB. Only select models of commercial receivers support MPEG4 DVBS2 HEVC 4:2:2.

This is unlike Beta vs VHS, since both tape formats were at war to control the retail market.

4:2:2 simply is not licensed for consumer STB chipsets.

Yes, media player software can be installed on these boxes to display 4:2:2 files. Some use Kodi for playback media. I last experimented with Kodi on a VuPlus (running E2) and had good results playing CBS 4:2:2 files.

Yes, media player software can be installed on these boxes to display 4:2:2 files. Some use Kodi for playback media. I last experimented with Kodi on a VuPlus (running E2) and had good results playing CBS 4:2:2 files.

Do you anticipate any plugins for the Edision receiver so we can watch 4:2:2 via HDMI?

Betamax and VHS are at least similar media. H.265 is a video encoding scheme (compression) and 4:2:2 relates to 10-bit color (subsampling).

As far as a receiver that will decode both, several have been mentioned in previous posts (including the Edision OS MIO 4K). Almost all receivers on the market today will decode and display H.265. There are none that I know of that will also display 4:2:2 via HDMI. It must be streamed to a PC or other compatible device.

Since I don't have a way to stream them, that I know of, I don't guess I'll be watching them anytime soon. I hesitate to invest more money until I see how this is going to work out with the 5G cell phone issue. Just not enough on Ku watch, unless a lot of the channels we have now migrates to Ku, which probably won't happen. Frankly, I hope the whole 5G thing falls through. How much speed and bandwidth do you really need on a cell phone? :)

4:2:2 HEVC is not supported by any STB. Only select models of commercial receivers support MPEG4 DVBS2 HEVC 4:2:2.

This is unlike Beta vs VHS, since both tape formats were at war to control the retail market.

4:2:2 simply is not licensed for consumer STB chipsets.

I just used the Beta v VHS as a comparison only. I doubt all UHD channels will follow suit, but if they do, there's going to be a lot of Bricks collecting dust in entertainment centers. I don't have good enough internet out where I live to reliably stream regular HD off Vudu or Tubi, let alone UHD channels.

A laptop, a PC, any Windows computer with a decent video card will work-

Right now, I have a PC running a VGA to HDMI converter so I can use my PC on my 70 inch TV in the living room. I have three computers, but none of them have an HDMI out video card. I just tried to upgrade the one in the living room to Windows 10, and every time it gets to 97% complete, it throws a Stop Code Error. I've been through the process twice on this computer.

Right now, I have a PC running a VGA to HDMI converter so I can use my PC on my 70 inch TV in the living room

If you have the PC, all you need is one of the receivers mentioned and you can view those feeds on your TV. The stream doesn't care if your PC's output is VGA to HDMI; you'll still see the video on your TV.

Reactions: Titanium
If you have the PC, all you need is one of the receivers mentioned and you can view those feeds on your TV. The stream doesn't care if your PC's output is VGA to HDMI; you'll still see the video on your TV.

Not certain how to tie the receiver and PC together. What connections are used to accomplish that?

Not certain how to tie the receiver and PC together. What connections are used to accomplish that?

Receivers like the Edision are connected to your local network via wifi or ethernet cable. Then, you type the IP address of the receiver into a browser. From there, the interface allows you to stream the service to VLC or Potplayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: c-spand

Is your computer connected to the internet via a router? If so, you have everything you need to play 4:2:2 on your TV.

Now all you need is a DVBS2 h.265 (HEVC) satellite receiver that streams.

The point of my posts about watching the 4:2:2 services is that 99.9% of us already have a computer, smart phone, tablet or android STB that has the capability to play 4:2:2 live or recordings...

Edited: Changed text to clarify that the user only needs a router for Local Area Network (LAN).

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
Had read on other forums that E2 users were installing the Kodi 17r0 plugin on several current E2 STBs with OpenATV. I have not researched for the Mio 4K. You might check the OpenATV forums?

I would be interested what media player option plugins users are loading on the Mio 4k. Too much on my plate right now for me to spend much time until this fall.

Personally, I prefer an external media player so I can watch live rather than be restricted to viewing DVR files.

If a receiver can save a recording to a networked share as a transport stream file, in other words, if the file has a .ts extension, then some media players can play the file before it is finished recording, giving you the capability of near real time viewing. Kodi can definitely do this, and I believe VLC can also though I haven't tested that recently.

One thing some people may not realize about Kodi is that it can play live TV - there is actually a "Live TV" option in the main menu - if it can connect to a PVR backend system. To do that, it uses PVR addons that are specific to various backends or devices. In Kodi Leia the available PVR addons in the Kodi repository are as follows:

ARGUS TV client
Digital Devices Octopus NET Client
DVBViewer Client
Enigma2 Client (documentation link)
MediaPortal PVR Client
MythTV PVR Client
NextPVR PVR Client
Njoy N7 PVR Client
PCTV Systems Client
PVR Client for sledovanity.cz (unofficial)
PVR Demo Client
PVR Filmon Client
PVR HDHomeRun Client
PVR IPTV Simple Client
PVR WMC Client
Stalker Client
Teleboy PVR Client
Tvheadend HTSP Client
TvMosaic/DVBLink PVR Client
VBox TV Gateway PVR Client
VDR VNSI Client
waipu.tv PVR Client
Zattoo PVR Client

Somewhere in the past I believe that I heard or read that one or more FTA satellite receivers ran the "Enigma2" software so maybe if you have one of those it could directly act as a backend for Kodi, allowing one to watch live or recorded TV using Kodi on any computer. Kodi is available on almost all platforms, I think, including Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Or if your receiver runs PVR software compatible with one of these other formats, you could use Kodi with that PVR addon. But even if it doesn't, if you can save a file to a network share, and if Kodi can also get to that network share, you can play the file in Kodi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
Is your computer connected to the internet? If so, you have everything you need to play 4:2:2 on your TV.

Now all you need is a DVBS2 h.265 (HEVC) satellite receiver that streams.

The point of my posts about watching the 4:2:2 services is that 99.9% of us already have a computer, smart phone, tablet or android STB that has the capability to play 4:2:2 live or recordings...

I've got computers out the wazoo, I may play with this a bit to see what happens. My STB does streaming, but I'm not certain I can keep enough bandwidth to stream it. When it works right, I'll have 16mbps or more, and other times I may have .5mbps. It's a really sucky wireless service. Unsteady, low uploads most of the time and goes off at least once a day, but it's all that's available 10 miles from town. :(

I've got computers out the wazoo, I may play with this a bit to see what happens. My STB does streaming, but I'm not certain I can keep enough bandwidth to stream it. When it works right, I'll have 16mbps or more, and other times I may have .5mbps. It's a really sucky wireless service. Unsteady, low uploads most of the time and goes off at least once a day, but it's all that's available 10 miles from town. :(

Streaming from the STB to another device on your network has nothing to do with Internet speed. Your router shares the connection between the STB and the playback device on your local network. No Internet connection is used or needed to stream the STB channels to another device on your network.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Steaming 4:2:2 Works Great! :)

20190819_153401.jpeg

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)