ABC-HD and CBS-HD in DTV HD Package?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redhot47fl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2004
For several weeks now, and including today, DTV's newspaper inserts have promoted ABC-HD and CBS-HD as part of the regular HD package - right there beside HDTV, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, etc.

The ads clearly imply that these network HD feeds are available to anyone buying the HD package.

Yet, I see no reference to ABC-HD and CBS-HD on DTV's website and I sure don't see them in my menu of available channels.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Many thanks.

For several weeks now, and including today, DTV's newspaper inserts have promoted ABC-HD and CBS-HD as part of the regular HD package - right there beside HDTV, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, etc.

The ads clearly imply that these network HD feeds are available to anyone buying the HD package.

Yet, I see no reference to ABC-HD and CBS-HD on DTV's website and I sure don't see them in my menu of available channels.

I don't have that advertisement, but I would imagine in the fine print it states "Where Available"

Jimbo

What is your specific DMA and can you post the ad? It is highly likely that your DMA may be eligible for DNS from these networks and they are pushing new subs there. As you know, not all DMA's receive the exactly same newtwork availability.

Go to this address, and enter your zip code and it will tell you if HD locals are available in your zip code.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018

Thanks folks, I live in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, but this is not about local availability. These two channels are grouped with the nationally available HD channels, and the newspaper insert does not appear to be local - it appears to be a nationally distributed insert.

Here are two photos of the material in question. Look at the bottom panel of the ad, especially in the close up:

Attachments

• dtv 001.jpg
    dtv 001.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 224
  • dtv 002.jpg
    dtv 002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 204
All of the big4 are listed (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX) I can only assume they are there because of MPEG4 LIL HD coverage.

Thanks folks, I live in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, but this is not about local availability. These two channels are grouped with the nationally available HD channels, and the newspaper insert does not appear to be local - it appears to be a nationally distributed insert.

Here are two photos of the material in question. Look at the bottom panel of the ad, especially in the close up:

What does it say under the area that says see below ?
Anything about the networks ?

Jimbo

I received the same AD today in the paper. I could not find anything in the fine print about the networks. I will have to say that my DMA does offer those in HD via D*. The way I looked at it is that they are just saying they have these stations available in HD.

What does it say under the area that says see below ?
Anything about the networks ?

Nope. "See below" refers to the deepest, widest block of legalese you ever saw, but none of it applies to networks.

One sentence refers to local channels being available depending on location, but that harkens to the top panel in that close-up view - the one headlined "Local channels included in every package.''

IMO, the promoted details of the HD package place the four networks (good catch there charper1) on a par with HDNet, ESPNHD, etc. -- strongly suggesting that everyone who buys the HD package automatically receives all network programming in HD. Thus, I have to conclude that this is highly misleading. Again, this appears not to be a local ad, but a national insert produced by D*.

Obviously, I haven't yet upgraded to the 5 LNB dish and the HR20 receiver/DVR. While I have your attention, has the HR20 been debugged to the point where I should take the plunge now?

(I'm getting a little tired of buying stuff from D* and then having to buy it - or I guess now rent it - all over again from D*, just to get what I should have in the first place - all available HD programming.)

Again, many thanks for the help. Terrific message board here.

I doubt it is national but distributed where they have current MPEG4 LIL HD, or any places they know they will in the coming time frame. It appears to be nothing more than info and they placed all HD together regardless of what it is. IMHO

I doubt it is national but distributed where they have current MPEG4 LIL HD, or any places they know they will in the coming time frame. It appears to be nothing more than info and they placed all HD together regardless of what it is. IMHO

I think your right about the placement of these adds.
That said, if I was just a curious person looking into D*s programming, I would think that those channels were included seeing they are inthe same HD box as the rest of them.

Jimbo

Yep, if I am not mistaken (do not know too much about new packages) but if you have HD receiver(s) and locals are up then you get the no matter what; correct?

Yep, if I am not mistaken (do not know too much about new packages) but if you have HD receiver(s) and locals are up then you get the no matter what; correct?

Yup, since I think it was last March that they changed the locals to being INCLUDED in the packages, however IF you do not want them from D* you can call and tell them that and they will deduct like 3-5 dollars off your bill monthly.

Jimbo

Just another lie/trick D* uses to lure people into thinking they offer the best in HD
I see their adding the chiller (horror) channel march 1. Not HD of course

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)