Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Damn....
http://abc19.tv/abc-moves-its-affiliation-in-tri-cities-tnva-tv-market/

KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WKPT) – George DeVault, President of Holston Valley Broadcasting, announced today that the ABC Television Network affiliation for the Tri-Cities market is being moved from WKPT-TV.1 in Kingsport to WJHL.2 in Johnson City. The change becomes effective February 1.

According to DeVault, “ABC presented to us a proposal that would have had us paying the network at least 15 million dollars over the next 5 years. Although we ultimately agreed to meet the network’s terms, ABC told us a few days ago that it had decided to explore other options in the market. WKPT-TV had been negotiating in good faith with ABC since October of last year,” DeVault said.

“Media General, which owns WJHL, operates in almost 50 markets and owns or effectively controls more than 70 stations. If it threatens to pull its network affiliate signals in every market where both it and the cable or satellite carrier operate, it has immensely more bargaining power than one independently-owned, family-owned station like WKPT-TV operating only in market number 97. That is why small operators like us are disappearing or being bought up by big group owners, and that is why networks like ABC prefer to be affiliated with the powerful group owners,” DeVault said.

WKPT-TV will become an independent TV station, not affiliated with a major network, effective February 1. “To stay in the TV business will be a “tough financial challenge,” DeVault said. “ Many among our present staff will lose their jobs. Most notably we will be going out of the local TV News business.”

so basically WJHL will be -1 CBS -2 ABC (replacing METV) and -3 Ion (that MG just added)

I can't see them doing a -4 for MeTV....but ya never know

one good thing for folks in the outskirts is that CBS is on RF11 which tends to bend better in the mountains so they may be able to get it better

This line doesnt really make sense

That is why small operators like us are disappearing or being bought up by big group owners, and that is why networks like ABC prefer to be affiliated with the powerful group owners,

There are owners that have ABC that aren't considered "powerful" (in terms of stations). I wouldnt consider Hubbard a "powerful group" because they only have a handful of stations.
Surely not Lilly Broadcasting, Morgan Murphy, Marks Broadcasting either. I know they (ABC) want to be with larger groups so come retrans time they (the owners ) have more bargaining power than say a locally owned company

WJHL article (with video)
http://wjhl.com/2016/01/04/media-general-announces-abc-affiliation-in-tri-cities-dma/

TRI-CITIES, TN/VA – Media General, one of the nation’s largest media companies, Monday announced that it will launch the ABC Television Network (“ABC”) affiliation in Tri-Cities, TN-VA (DMA 97), effective February 1, 2016 on channel WJHL 11.2.

ABC Tri-Cities will operate out of Johnson City, TN, where the company owns and operates CBS affiliate WJHL-TV and WJHL.com.

They do have a possibility as to programming

DeVault said the station doesn’t have a final answer as to the content it will use to replace ABC programming.

The tentative plan, he added, is to move MyNetworkTV content from secondary station WAPK over to WKPT.

“We’ll fill in with other content from WAPK,” DeVault said. “We’ll probably sign up with one of these new networks similar to Cozi or whatever and put that on WAPK.”

This line doesnt really make sense

That is why small operators like us are disappearing or being bought up by big group owners, and that is why networks like ABC prefer to be affiliated with the powerful group owners,

There are owners that have ABC that aren't considered "powerful" (in terms of stations). I wouldnt consider Hubbard a "powerful group" because they only have a handful of stations.
Surely not Lilly Broadcasting, Morgan Murphy, Marks Broadcasting either. I know they (ABC) want to be with larger groups so come retrans time they (the owners ) have more bargaining power than say a locally owned company

What doesn't make sense about it? Have you not noticed the massive amounts of consolidation going on in the industry right now? What happened to WPGA, among others, or the buyouts of stations like KXMB/etc, WOWK/etc?

Marks mostly owns in tiny markets where he's the only TV station in the market. Morgan Murphy is primarily in markets with other small market owners. Hubbard has Minneapolis, two medium markets in New York, Albuquerque, etc. and thus has a decent amount of clout. The odd man out is Lilly who has shown a willingness to buy and sell as needed. Plus markets like Erie and Elmira don't have a lot going on anyway.

This is really terrible news. George is a great guy as are all the others at WKPT and it's very upsetting to hear that even though WKPT agreed to come up with the money ABC demanded, ABC still walked away.

- Trip

Last edited:
it's very upsetting to hear that even though WKPT agreed to come up with the money ABC demanded, ABC still walked away.
especially considering they have had an agreement with ABC for 46 years

MeTV looks to move to the 11-3 spot soon...When the ABC launches on the .2 all this means is that the Me will move to the .3, I know you all know this already. Its the same case scenario when KLAF went to NBC last year and the MNTV went one notch over. Well all said, I got something right again. Whohoo for Bryan, LOL

contracts can be broken. Maybe they realized more people would watch MeTV than their "static" weather channel

Brings back memories...lived in Johnson City for a little over 10 years before I moved to Charlotte. So how does that end up with one station having two network affiliates...Will there be a WJHL CBS and a WJHL ABC? I'm sure this has happened elsewhere, just never really thought about it.

. So how does that end up with one station having two network affiliates...Will there be a WJHL CBS and a WJHL ABC? I'm sure this has happened elsewhere, just never really thought about it.

This is happening more recently where one station has 2 different network affiliations. In smaller markets this is very common. Depending on the situation they may just simulcast the local news on both stations (that is how its done in Fargo, ND where KVLY has NBC -1 and CBS -2. They just ID as "Valley News Live") or they may do a totally different newscast opposite the CBS local news. I know in Mankato, MN (the market next to me) they are a 1 station market (CBS main, FOX sub) and FOX has a news at 9 with a different anchor than what CBS has for their 6 & 10:00 news.

Well the changes happened....and it looks like a few affiliated moved

ABC moved from 19-1 to 11-2 (sub on CBS)
My Network moved form 36-1/19-2 to 19-1 (36 is low powered station....it was simulcast on 19-2)
MeTV moved from 11-2 to 36-1/19-2 (so it looks like they traded ABC for MeTV)

WJHL 11
11-1 CBS HD
11-2 ABC HD

WKPT 19
19-1 My
19-2 Me (also on 36-1)
19-3 Cozi
19-4 Heartland (also on 36-2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)