ABC, NBC, CBS etc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Rain

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 4, 2005
ALBUQUERQUE, NM
Why is it that sometimes on FTA - you can get the major networks ABC, NBC etc and fall under the SHIVA law? doesn't make sense why you need a waiver for some and not the ones you find on FTA.

am I wrong or just blonde? :shocked

You have to remember, these weren’t meant for us to see. They’re for the cable companies to get the signal. SHVIA was inputted because the NAB and the locals whined “oh, we don’t want you watching out of market locals. We want you to watch OUR local locals so you see local commercials”. In some cases, that’s bull because most viewers don’t shop at those places. A perfect example is Minneapolis. The DMA for satellite stretches from one border (by Iowa) almost to the Canadian border. The farthest county in the DMA is over 200 miles away from Minneapolis. Do you think people in Bemidji (some 200 miles away from Mpls) shop at Luther Buick in Minneapolis for a car? Heck no

But back to the question….think of the FTA stuff as gravy. Its stuff that we can get via a sweet little box, a 30” dish and a KU band LNB. I live in the Minneapolis area. I couldn’t get out of market locals unless I “move” my system (which I did). Waivers would be useless because the locals here are powerful (Fox, NBC & CBS are owned by the Network). FTA locals give me the extra things.
-College FB games from the west coast. I’m sick of seeing Michigan, Ohio State & Wisco every week.
-timeshift if I miss a show
-different news

Minneapolis is rather amusing in that way. I'm guessing there are other examples of this, but it gets me that cable systems hundreds of miles away are watching news about powerlines going down in Lakeville or something like that. Heck, there are people in Greenland watching WCCO.

When I was living in bush Alaska, the cable systems inexplicably brought in network TV from Denver, not Anchorage. Besides the strange time shifts, I always wondered if they realized we'd rather see ads for Anchorage -- at least we have reason to visit there.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
Minneapolis is rather amusing in that way. I'm guessing there are other examples of this, but it gets me that cable systems hundreds of miles away are watching news about powerlines going down in Lakeville or something like that. Heck, there are people in Greenland watching WCCO.

cable is different for the above because of KCCO (Alexandria) & KCCW (Walker). They're just translators of WCCO but they have local commercials for the cable viewers. Satellite gets WCCO.

And the farthest city that I know that can see WCCO (and KARE) is Thompson, Manitoba on their cable system. Winnipeg has these too (that's why Ken Barlow always points to the 'Peg on the weathercast)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)