ABC Television to make available high-definition broadband content online

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
ABC Television to make available high-definition broadband content online
Disney owned ABC Television Group has announced that they would soon start broadcasting high-definition broadband content on their website.
It would be launched as a beta service starting this July. They would showcase high definition shows of popular series including “Lost,” “Desperate Housewives,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Ugly Betty”.
The service would come out of beta in September and would feature an expanded HD programming lineup.
The company added that they would also begin to showcase national news and local content on its full-episode player.
They would monetize the content with local ads and other individualized marketing.

http://news.techwhack.com/5812/abc-television/

The local stations must see the handwriting on the wall. Long term, the local TV stations will be just like the local radio stations. If they can provide content the locals want, they will thrive. Otherwise, they will become non-watched, but by a few. The content will not be filling all time periods with Network programming. They better be ready with local news, local issue coverage, and sports programming.

Yes, there are bandwidth issues, but technology will overcome this.

The local stations must see the handwriting on the wall. Long term, the local TV stations will be just like the local radio stations. If they can provide content the locals want, they will thrive. Otherwise, they will become non-watched, but by a few. The content will not be filling all time periods with Network programming. They better be ready with local news, local issue coverage, and sports programming.

Yes, there are bandwidth issues, but technology will overcome this.

I couldn't agree more. If it was up to me, I don't care if I get my LIL in HD, I would much rather have a direct feed from the big four networks in HD from 7-10pm running national commercials (I'd skip them anyways), this way I wouldn't be bothered by the local station flipping the signal to SD, running that stupid crawl and a map that takes up the bottom third of my screen for a raindrop or snowflake that's 37 counties away from me.

I would be much happier with a national network feed. Maybe this this webstream in HD is a good alternative. We'll have to wait and see.

It will be very interesting to see where this goes.?

They will have local ad placement so the local stations will be happy. And I am sure you will not be able to skip through the online commercials. The only good thing is that there will probably be fewer commercials in the online version.

ABC Hits Limits on Web HD
Compression Compromises Quality
ABC isn’t promising that picture quality for the prime-time shows it rolls out on the Web in high definition will improve any time soon. Last month, ABC announced it would make popular prime-time series available in HD over the Web starting in July.
Full Story>

No big surprise there, there is not enough bandwidth coming to most of our homes for them to deliver a real HD stream.

There was a good article about this on the MultichannelNews.COM website the other day about this which is worth reading.

While it won' be full HD 1920 x 1080 it will look better then a SD show on a computer. :)

HDNET shuttle Atlantis liftoff at 7:38 p.m. EDT

Si to HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts