ABC Tri-Cities TN/VA

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
ABC has dropped local station WKPT. WJHL the local CBS station has picked up what they're calling "ABC Tri-Cities". They have put it on substation 11.2, at this time dish does not carry it.

http://wjhl.com/watch-the-all-new-abc-tri-cities/

Hopefully Dish is aware of this and working on a solution. This leaves a whole DMA without an ABC affiliate. :(

abc tri cities.jpg

That's a good question. Technically WKPT is now an independent.?.? The info provided on being able to watch on dish channel 19 is incorrect. The pic I posted of the guide clearly shows that, ota highlighted and the regular dish programming.

I have reached out to Dish and was told the new service may launch today. :) Thanks

According to WJHL's website - ABC can still be seen on DISH channel 19 - http://wjhl.com/watch-the-all-new-abc-tri-cities/ However, that is occupying WKPT's old channel slot - DISH cannot do that, can they?
yes they can. Dish doesnt seem to move the channel number when it moves to a different channel number (or a sub) unless requested by the new owner. I guess for uniformity. Folks know to go to 19 for ABC. They dont care if its on WKPT, WJHL-DT2 or any other station.

WKPT moved its MY affiliation from a sub-channel to its main - thus DISH must carry it, correct?
WKPT has to request Must Carry for the new station which will probably be put on channel 20. That seems to be what happens to stations like this when they lose their number. As example in Chattanooga the FOX moved from 61 to 9-2 (Sinclair bought the programming and moved it from a station they were running to a station they owned). Dish kept it on 61 and added the new station (what is now 61-1) as 62.

Reactions: eacalhoun
WKPT has to request Must Carry for the new station which will probably be put on channel 20.

That's exactly what they did with WKPT.

Shows how much attn I pay to the uplink reports.

you're right. I noticed the uplink report didnt show here but elsewhere it did

5250 WKPT (20 HD Local) KINGSPORT, TN (ABC) 129° 11s31 (West Virginia) HD Tri Cities, TN-VA market

Reactions: stardust3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)