ABC upgrading HD product?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

themediadrop

Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Hey everyone - not necessarily a DirecTV specific issue, but one that i figured the folks here will be interested in possibly. Looks like ABC is going to have no HD feed for four days next week - and suspicions are that they're going up to 1080i.

Any inquiring minds know anything about this?

Found it at HD Beat

themediadrop said:
Hey everyone - not necessarily a DirecTV specific issue, but one that i figured the folks here will be interested in possibly. Looks like ABC is going to have no HD feed for four days next week - and suspicions are that they're going up to 1080i.

Any inquiring minds know anything about this?

Found it at HD Beat

No they are not going to 1080i,
more info here

This means that ABC's sports programming picture quality may actually go down.

I would rather watch sports in progressive than interlaced .

Hopefully this won't be too noticable.
Maybe a non issue, well see.

Jimbo

Per the news I read, it is to upgrade HDTV equiptment that is used to actually broadcast the signal, no format change. More than likely it is to replace older and now becoming outdated equiptment to prepare for this years football season, and also

If you also look at ABC's HDTV sports schedule, the down time is between the MNF games(the 22nd and the 28th)

ABC's HDTV Faq's

http://abc.go.com/site/hdtvfaq.html

So it is not a format change, that is good news.
It would be nice if this kind of info (Digital signal being down) was mentioned on ABC's web site.

Here locally, CBS was down for 3 days,back up today in time for the NFL game tonight.

I spoke with the local engeneer and was told it was down for a few days due to the tower being painted !!!!

I mentioned that this info would be good to have on our local web site and they agreed and will look into it .

Jimbo

Here's a quote from the ABC link in fkostyn's post:

"ABC broadcasts all of its programming using the 720p format except in Dallas, where the ABC station broadcasts in 1080i."

Isn't that strange?

WFAA was also one of the first staions in the country to broadcast in HD, which may be another reason (i.e.they invested in equipment). (and no, they are not ABC owned, but many ABC stations aren't, and they still broadcast in 720P).

I have a feeling when they comback online Circle Surround will be gone and Dolby Digital will be in it's place. :)

I hear the same thing will be happening on ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have a feeling when they comback online Circle Surround will be gone and Dolby Digital will be in it's place. :)

I hear the same thing will be happening on ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD

??? The Chicago ABC station has ben DD5.1 for ages. I thought only ESPN was doing the Circle Surround system.

ABC in Nashville (2.1) is 5.1 DD as well, already (for ABC HD shows) ... For example, Lost is already 5.1, so was MNF last night (aint the crowd noise behind you great?!), etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)