About The Rumor Using IPTV for Rain/Snow Fade Backup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CSM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Chesterfield, MO
I was wondering how that would work? I was thinking it would be a hybrid SatelliteTV/IPTV hybrid guide so they could still keep UVerseTV customers. However, if AT&T wants to free up Internet bandwidth to increase speeds in their FTTN areas I would think they would not want to use IPTV for rain/snow backup? Would they use the Internet instead of HD streams for that? Also what if their was a glitch in the system and the boxes wouldn't know when to switch back to DTV? Thanks.

I have a very strong feeling that transitioning back & forth between satellite & IPTV will not be very smooth(latency issues) & recordings will get screwed up over it. It's not the panacea people make it out to be. It also doesn't help those of us without Uverse.

If you think about - currently- Some channels in the guide when you select them will allow you to "start over" if selected -that comes from the internet server controlled by the channel over the internet - so in order for that to apply to all channels some changes will have to be made at the head end of Distribution for dual transmission of ip - as not everyone everywhere will lose signal do to rain fade at the same time.

I have a very strong feeling that transitioning back & forth between satellite & IPTV will not be very smooth(latency issues) & recordings will get screwed up over it. It's not the panacea people make it out to be. It also doesn't help those of us without Uverse.
Live will never be smooth.

But a whole new DL of an incomplete recording should be no problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)