About time Voom said something

according to your own link the agreemetn was based on 15 channels not 21.
As I recall, 10 of the VOOM channels went up after VOOM DBS went bust, and then 15. Both parties stated the entire VOOM21 lineup would go up when space became available, but it never happened. In fact, as late as Spring of '06 Charlie mentioned there could additional VOOM channels coming online. What's not known is who decided VOOM would be 15 channels and not the entire VOOM21?

Last edited:
didnt dish break the contract with voom first when they put it in the higher package? I remember that voom was supposed to be in the most basic hd package and that providers were not suppose to charge additional for it.

what was the movied quote where the person was typing what the other person was saying and they died in the middle of it...and he typed agghhhh (death sound) I want to say something monty python.

I believe it was "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", but it was something written on the wall of a cave. Of course I saw that movie a loooooong time ago.

This is how I see it...

1. E* agreed to carry the Voom channels for 15 years.
2. E* agreed to pay Voom $x per subscriber.
3. Voom agreed to spend $x per year on programming up to $x amount.
4. E* moves Voom to a package that has less subscribers, thus allowing E* to pay Voom less.
5. Voom files a lawsuit.
6. E* counters that Voom is not spending required amount on programming.
7. Voom loses lawsuit.
8. E* removes 10 channels, then removes remaining 5 channels 24 hours later.

Actually if you read the judges ruling. You will see that you are out of order in the events. Dish claims VOOM is not spending the money, gets an audit, sees VOOM is not spending the money, then demands that VOOM is moved to a different tier or termination of the contract. VOOM sues and wants a temporary restraining order to keep Dish from dropping from base HD package before a trial. Dish moves it anyways and says accept it or we terminate. The judge refuses to issue a TRO stating that VOOM did not demonstrate it was likely to win the case.

Dish then tells VOOM 5 channels or none, and takes down 10 channels (speculation, it appears this way, but is not documented by court documents). VOOM tells Dish none., rest of the channels go away.

didnt dish break the contract with voom first when they put it in the higher package? I remember that voom was supposed to be in the most basic hd package and that providers were not suppose to charge additional for it.
I think this is where Dish Network gets into trouble...they allege VOOM breached the contract by not meeting the funding requirement - that's why they are supposedly permitted to terminated the affiliate agreement. However, based on their audit in which they concluded VOOM violated the spending requirement (VOOM disputes this fact) they proceded to place Tier restriction on the VOOM channels instead of terminate the agreement. This doesn't pass the sniff test. They should have moved to terminate the agreement or negotiate a Tier pricing structure while keeping the channel package in tact and available to all HD customers. At a minimum, Dish Network was enacting some form of "cure" based on what they considered to be a spending violation by VOOM in the hope of obtaining more favorable pricing. Sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right. If E* felt they were being cheated, then they should have terminated the agreement or asked for some form of compensation.

I just called them.

Very interesting developement. They must be getting a lot of calls as their prompts have changed.

First, they identified my account by the last 4 of my phone #.

Then the press blah for Spanish.

Then.........

If you are calling about your HD channels, press 1.
If not, press 2.

An American picked up the phone after about 30 seconds.

She told me to email my concerns to feedback@customermail.dishnetwork.com

Thought it was interesting they asked the HD question.

I hope there is an agreement made before Charlie gives the keynote speach at Team Summit. It would be great news for Dish subs if a new VOOM lineup was to be created.

As I recall, 10 of the VOOM channels went up after VOOM DBS went bust, and then 15. Both parties stated the entire VOOM21 lineup would go up when space became available, but it never happened. In fact, as late as Spring of '06 Charlie mentioned there could additional VOOM channels coming online. What's not known is who decided VOOM would be 15 channels and not the entire VOOM21?

The document clearly states that the agrement is based on 15 channels not 21. you are trying to read into things that the minimum investment is based on 21 channels not 15. this is as unreasonavle as those that get their facts from the DISH press release. Both of you are just looking for data points that support your viewpoint instead of forminga conclusion based on all the facts.

I hope there is an agreement made before Charlie gives the keynote speach at Team Summit. It would be great news for Dish subs if a new VOOM lineup was to be created.

I would liek to see this too. Thank God the people on thi board are not negotiating this. Persoanlly I don't think that VOM had enough ariety to justify 15 channels bit perhaps they could be a player if they provided 3-5.

I would like to see this too. Thank God the people on the board are not negotiating this. Personally I don't think that VOOM had enough variety to justify 15 channels bit perhaps they could be a player if they provided 3-5.

I have always thought that if Voom spent that $100 million on 3-5 channels (instead of 15 channels ) they were supposed to be spending, they could create channels that other providers would want to carry.

I have always thought the Monsters channel could have been a big channel if they spent more money on the content ( newer and more movies, some original shows), look at how big the Sci Fi Channel is now, also look at many Horror channels are trying to start up-Chiller, Fearnet, etc, their is money out there for that type of content.

Has whether Voom has been spending the required amount per year been settled in court? Or is it only the issue of moving Voom to a less subscribed package that has been settled?

As I understand it, and I'm not a lawyer, the only thing that has been decided is that the judge will not issue an injunction preventing Dish from making changes. AFAIK, the legal issues haven't been decided yet.

Mario

Yes it was clear in the past few months a lot of more cable subs went to DirecTV rather DISH. because of the new DirecTV HDs. VOOM on DISH did not help at all, in fact DirecTV sent out a mailer to all DirecTV dealers rediculed VOOM as part of their advertising pointers.
It's just business...according to Engadget HD, D* tried to buy Voom in January 2007...things change back and forth, and back and forth...

DirecTV in talks to buy Voom - Engadget HD

Last edited:
I sent the following to both VOOM and E*:

I am a DishNetwork subscriber. When VOOM was first added to DishNetwork, I couldn't wait to add the channels. Since that time, I have pretty much watched all the programming on many of the channels I was interested in. MonstersHD was my favorite channel. After several months of viewing, I found that the same programs were repeated, over and over again. There was little or no effort by VOOM to add new programming. Around November, 2007, there was a noticeable decline in programming. Someone made the decision to reduce the amount of different programs on most of the channels to two or three that were constantly repeated over a 24 hour plus window. When that happened, I pretty much stopped watching the VOOM channels. In February, 2008, DishNetwork offered tiered pricing for a lower monthly fee. The first HD tier included channels that had SD channels in other programming packages and the second HD tier included those HD channels that did not simulcast. VOOM fell into the second tier along with several other non-simulcast channels. At that point, I decided to drop to the lower HD tier. My decision was brought about by VOOM's lack of new programming and a cutback in the number of programs on many of the channels. I do not fault DishNetwork for dropping the VOOM channels. I fault VOOM's management for not making it the best 24/7 HD service available to viewers. I hope you and DishNetwork can resolve your differences because there are many subscribers, including myself who would welcome the return of VOOM to DishNetwork, provided you beef-up programming service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts