about to install 7.5 ft c band dish have a few questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This one helped me a lot.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1405779318.482982.jpg

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

One way to figure out which side of the pole the actuator should go on is fill out the page here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/calc.html Then determine which side of the arc is closest to the horizon. (Lowest elevation) That's almost always the side to put the actuator.
That a great way to find out but I am limited to a west side mount so what happens when I try for satellites to the eastern side of the arc below 97 w?

You can go East of your due south satellite, but the travel will be limited to probably 40/50 degrees east of your due south. If you want to work the lower Atlantic satellites, you will need to modify to place the mount on the East side.

How to add East side mounting point? Buy 3' or 4' of 3/4 or 1" square tube and weld/bolt to the polar mount to place a mounting hole on the East side.

Reactions: FaT Air
well i have the dish installed aimed at 97w could not get anything check the angles and the were where they need to finally got 99w to lock on my birdog meter set the dish where i got a good ber hook the cable up that was connected to the amiko mini hd se i have and the receiver only showed a reading of 5 i am at a loss as to what is going on

well i have the dish installed aimed at 97w could not get anything check the angles and the were where they need to finally got 99w to lock on my birdog meter set the dish where i got a good ber hook the cable up that was connected to the amiko mini hd se i have and the receiver only showed a reading of 5 i am at a loss as to what is going on
This may sound stupid but since your meter says you are pointed at the sat, have you tried a blind scan yet? I say this because I have an Amiko Mini HD SE and a Titanium C1-PPL LNB and even when I know for sure I'm definitely pointed at a satellite the Amiko often shows as 0% level and 5% quality because sometimes the default tranponder in the list for that sat has no signal. As soon as I do a blind scan and active transponders appear I can select them and it jumps to 80% level and between 60% to 80% quality. I know you should at least see something on level when the LNB is connected but I've found this not to be the case in my system. Good luck!:)

i have tried blind scanning on the amiko and it doesnt pick up anything
my tevii s662 usb tuner found 17 transponders and will scan in some channels

It's quite simple really.... Start over from scratch. Reset the actuator to line up at the highest point on your dish then move it about 2 clicks EAST where your DUE south satellite is. This is because your Longitude you state is West of satellite 97W. Then swing your whole mount left and right 1 degree elevation change at a time.

97W has some great channels (and transponders) you should be able to lock. Incidentally, it took me over 2 months to fine tune my first 7.5ft C Band dish (my declination was off). The second one much quicker and the third 10 ft dish was a snap. So hang in there and don't get discouraged.

One more thing as long as I'm on a role.... Measure and remeasure the distance from the dish center plate to 1/4" inside the LNBF. If it is off, you are giving yourself unnecessary stress... LOL.

Reactions: jmc98
It's quite simple really.... Start over from scratch. Reset the actuator to line up at the highest point on your dish then move it about 2 clicks EAST where your DUE south satellite is. This is because your Longitude you state is West of satellite 97W. Then swing your whole mount left and right 1 degree elevation change at a time.

97W has some great channels (and transponders) you should be able to lock. Incidentally, it took me over 2 months to fine tune my first 7.5ft C Band dish (my declination was off). The second one much quicker and the third 10 ft dish was a snap. So hang in there and don't get discouraged.

One more thing as long as I'm on a role.... Measure and remeasure the distance from the dish center plate to 1/4" inside the LNBF. If it is off, you are giving yourself unnecessary stress... LOL.

What is considered zenith? Is that the same as 180° due south ?

ya, sure is :)

I was instructed by more than one scarred veteran C Band dish installer here to just "line up" the top brackets to the highest point (Zenith) and then if there is no due South satellite, then click the actuator left or right depending on which satellite was closest to approximate the location. In my case using the actuator I found it averaged 7 clicks between satellites for 2 degrees.

Then rotate the whole mount left or right to find your due South satellite. In my case I had to go West to 121W before I could find anything.

Fun huh?

I was instructed by more than one scarred veteran C Band dish installer here to just "line up" the top brackets to the highest point (Zenith) and then if there is no due South satellite, then click the actuator left or right depending on which satellite was closest to approximate the location. In my case using the actuator I found it averaged 7 clicks between satellites for 2 degrees.

Then rotate the whole mount left or right to find your due South satellite. In my case I had to go West to 121W before I could find anything.

Fun huh?

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1406245472.379165.jpg

Forgot my picture. I believe its pointing at 121W, just West of my due South sat which has no C band at the present.

i got this for motor control:
Coleman Cable 095136208 12/2 Low Voltage Lighting Cable, 100-Feet

and this for the reed sensor:
DIY 18/2 100 Feet In Wall Speaker Wire Spool CL2 Rated UL Listed

would of loved the actual ribbon cable like titanium recommended but it cost to much for the 100 ft length for my cable run
Well this options will definitely not work only good out of this purchase is i have speaker wire to wire my home theater with

So what is the total cost for two RG6 coax cables and unshielded control wires and a trip to Home Depot?

Hard to beat this price for Commscope ribbon 2-RG6u. 2-16g, 3-20g, 3-22g, shield + drain. Ebay: 50ft - $59 / 100ft - $104 and free shipping with best offer option. :D
again and as always Titanium(Brian Gohl) was correct again will be looking for some commscope ribbon cable to control my bud I guess as they say hind site is always 20/20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)