About to Pull the trigger on Dish, Making sure I got all my bases covered!

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
This is my first time with satellite so sorry if I missed anything. I read all the major stickied posts and did the whole Dish vs DirecTV thing and I'm thinking since I wouldn't get NFL sunday ticket, and have an HDTV Dish was the way to go. Let me make sure I have a couple things right...

I have 2 TVs, One HD one SD and I would like both to have DVR capability. I've narrowed myself down to 2 packages as well, the best package without premiums, and then the premium loaded package. Let me make sure my prices are right and I'm not missing anything. I also want locals and the HD package regardless.

On DirecTV the best package without premiums (TC+) would be $71/month(Total Choice Plus+HD+DVR+Lease Fee) or $115/month for Platinum. Seems like it might be a better deal if I go cheaper but doesn't give as big a discount if I add in all the premiums. I would also pay $299 which includes the recievers and installation.

On Dish the best package without premiums is $81/month (DishHD Gold+Lease Fee+DVR Fee). And the best package with all premiums is $111/mo? It seems like it won't let me get a DVR for both my HD and SD TV, is this accurate or am I missing something? THere is a $250 fee to get going which is for recievers and installation.

That's what I learned from research, it seems like if I go premium Dish has more HD channels and is a little cheaper, with no significant downsides. For budgeting purposes how much in additional taxes/fees would be added on top of the $111? Is there anything else I need to know? Do I need a HDMI cable or whatever to hook up the box or does that come with the installation? Little stuff like that. Thanks for your help!

Welcome. :wave

I think you've got the costs right. The DVR fee is waived when you get the Platinum package. You should be able to get two dual-tuners with your order, as long as one is SD (625, etc.). The key point is that Dish only allows up to four leased tuners. PM me for a Club Dish number to save a little on installation.

They don't particularly list an installation cost on their site, is $49 activation fee the installation or is there a seperate installation cost they don't cover in their costs in the DishBuilder?

If you use Club Dish you can get the activation fee waived. The installation is separate, but it should cover the up-front charge for a 622, the dish, and the wiring.

I'm sorry, installation is seperate as in I have to cover it with whoever does my install?

Also it seems to still be charging the $6 DVR fee even when I choose platinum on dishbuilder?

And when I say I have 1 HD and 1 SD TV I can set the HD as a DVR but then it grays out all options but 0 for SD DVR, not sure why that is?

And what approx do taxes and fees add to my total cost?

Installation fee is taken from whatever credit card you use when you order.

Are you sure that $6 is the DVR fee, not the lease fee?

The web site may be a little stupid. You could try a CSR at 1-888-825-2557.

I don't know if it's the same in your state, but in Oklahoma taxes and fees are $0.45 on a $103.00 bill.

adam61 said:
And when I say I have 1 HD and 1 SD TV I can set the HD as a DVR but then it grays out all options but 0 for SD DVR, not sure why that is?

And what approx do taxes and fees add to my total cost?
That's because the 622 (HD DVR) is a dual output receiver.
It has one HD output for you HD set and one SD output for you SD set.

Just because that "happens" to be the case does that prevent me from getting another reciever for my second TV? Surely it's not that uncommon for someone with 2 TVs to want DVR on both? It seems kinda silly Dish would completely block you from doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)