Absolute minimum info needed to open account

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
OK, so I've got a whole bunch of Latino customers who want to sign up with Dish. The problem is they have no SSN. Assuming they purchase the receiver, dish, and install from me, what is the absolute minimum amount of info needed to get the accounts off the ground and activated? That is to say, there is no option for a credit check, and no need for Dish to provide anything at all that should cost them money other than activation and programming. I know we need the first & last name, phone number, and address. Is a credit card also required? Is a SSN required as well, even if they can't pass credit check?

Keep in mind, I don't speak Spanish, so the less info I need to acquire the better! lol

Social Security number(s) are only needed to run a credit check, I would think. They run a credit check to determine the risk in giving people free equipment and free installation. Buying your own equipment and paying for installation negates that need. All that's left is to pay for service and since it's paid one month in advance, Dish further minimizes their risk. Dish actually caters (I don't mean that negatively) to immigrants (and non-immigrants) with their variety of international programming options and without getting political, there are legal methods for people to live/work in the US without having SSNs (yet), so it can be done.

I can't remember the name, but is was something like "Green Dot" (maybe that was a payment method though as I've seen it reference elsewhere). They also had something called "Flex" that was like pre-paid TV service.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZandarKoad
Can a business (like Dish) report a customer to credit bureaus for non-payment even if they don't have their SS #?

You should be able to activate them as a Flex account. No SSN or Credit Card info is required. They have to purchase the equipment and pay an activation fee but that it is all that should be required from them. Minimum programming would be the Smart Pack, Dish America or Dish Latino.

I didn't find anything on Dish's website about Flex, only on Dish resellers/retailers. All of them repeat what Scherrman said, no CC req'd (they do recommend you use one though and set it up on automatic payments). You can pay by credit card, Western Union, cash (at places that take Dish payments, I presume), and so on.

Sherminator :devilish IIRC, a CC was needed for flex nonetheless ie- "prepaid".

Cheers, K

I always thought this process was a pain. They do not require a CC to qualify but they do need some form of card to make the payment for the first month of programming. It can be a credit card, debit card or some kind of cash card I believe. It's basically for people who do not want to give out personal info or are illegal immigrants.

Can a business (like Dish) report a customer to credit bureaus for non-payment even if they don't have their SS #?

It would be mighty difficult for a customer with owned equipment, who has to pay in advance, to run up any kind of bill at Dish. No unreturned equipment charges, no early termination fees (no contract), and no programming charges left unpaid (as it has to be paid in advance of the service). For any other type of account, a SSN would be required, so they could report it.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

I always thought this process was a pain. They do not require a CC to qualify but they do need some form of card to make the payment for the first month of programming. It can be a credit card, debit card or some kind of cash card I believe. It's basically for people who do not want to give out personal info or are illegal immigrants.

It may be different on the retailer side, but I have seen an account (can't remember if Flex with a contract, or Flex with no contract) where the account was set up, and the install date was not set, as the customer had not paid. The account can be saved with no install work order scheduled, and the customer can then do a pay-in-cash location, pay the first month, then call to set up the initial install appointment. So, it is actually possible to get set up and never use a credit/debit card at all.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Flex TV
No commitment, No Credit Card/Debit Card and No SSN Required
Non-Refundable Activation Fee: $199
If Latino or International Programming Activation is: $49
First Month of Programming is Paid to Dish
Any Activation or Equipment Fees are Paid to the Retailer
No Unreturned Equipment Fees.

Please Note: Subscriber receiver upgrade fees should be charged according to best pricing for the Subscriber regardless of which receiver is primary and which is
secondary.
Eligible Receiver Models
Primary Receiver Upgrade Fee/Additional Receiver Upgrade Fee
311, 311k, 322, 322-1, 512, 522, 625 $49/$49
411 (restricted to Puerto Rico and USVI only) $49/Purchased by the Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.
ViP 211, ViP 211k, ViP 211z $49/Purchased by the Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.
ViP 222, ViP 222k $99/Purchased by the Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.
ViP 612 $49/Purchased by the Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.
ViP 622, ViP 722, ViP 722k $199/Purchased by the Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.
ViP 922 $49/Purchased by the Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.
Wireless Joey* N/A/$99
Joey N/A/$99
Super Joey N/A/$149
Hopper N/A/$249
Hopper with Sling $299/$299
A 4th Joey receiver is only valid when 2 Hopper or Hopper with Sling
receivers are activated.
Maximum of 1 Super Joey on an account (not eligible if 2 Hoppers/Hoppers
with Sling are active on the account)
Maximum of 3 Wireless Joeys on an account
Subscribers may activate 2 purchased ViP 211k or ViP 211z receivers with a
Hopper solution if the customer requires a Tailgater. Subscribers may not
combine Hopper with Sling, Hopper, or Joey receivers with any other
Eligible Receiver models.
*A purchased Access Point ($50) is required for any account with a
Wireless Joey. One Access Point can service up to 3 Wireless Joeys.
Subscribers located in an Eastern Arc Only DMA or Wichita, KS, must at all times
have only MPEG-4 receivers active on their account. MPEG-4 receivers currently
include only model Hopper with Sling, Hopper, Super Joey, Joey, Wireless Joey,
ViP 922, ViP 722k, ViP 722, ViP 622, ViP 612, ViP 222k, ViP 222, ViP 211z, ViP
211k and ViP 211 receivers.
All new Residential and SDS Subscribers under a FlexTV plan must subscribe to
HD programming in order to have MPEG-4 equipment unless the customer resides
in an EA-only DMA that requires all MPEG-4 equipment. Customers selecting HD
programming must have at least one active MPEG-4 receiver on their account.
Additional Equipment: Upgraded or additional antennas and switches can be purchased by the
Subscriber at a price determined by the Retailer.

I took this from the business rules so some of it looks confusing. The receivers are showing the price for the primary receiver and then the price of that receiver if it's a secondary.

199$ activation fee? Sorry Dish am sticking w/ OTA.

In a case like this though Dish is installing all the equipment and you're getting it at a discount. I know it sounds like a lot but it's still cheaper than what it's worth. This is just the case in a Flex TV account. If you purchased all the equipment, including the dish antenna, and installed it yourself you should be able to get it activated cheaper. Most of that activation fee with a Flex TV account is covering the dish antenna and the installation of it.

One thing I read about Flex was NO grace period on bills / payments.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
You got that right,payment due on the 21st of each month. So if you activate/reactivate a flex account,it's best to do it on the 21st. That way you don't end up paying twice in one month,which can really throw people on a budget in a bind. Does the $199.00 activation fee also go for reactivating a flex account that's been on pause?

What's the difference in these ? You replied that the $199 actually covers/includes installation, so is the $49 on top of the $199 fee ?

That's a good question. When I was looking up the info I asked myself the same question. It's very confusing when I see it listed that way. Every time I hear them talk about it on the retailer chats it sounds more like the activation fee is just cheaper for those getting Latino and International programming only. I will need to confirm this though.

Advise your customers to sign up for a Latino or international package initially and see if they get installed for $49 !! :biggrin

Or, if you're bored and have the time, walk through a fake order....

I honestly can't remember the last time we did a Flex account. After I tell a customer how much it will cost them they just go to the bank and get a debit card. All of the Mexican population around me work on large farms and the farmers set up their accounts for them. The majority of customers in my area all qualify for the regular promos except for some of the elderly or older farmers. They have never had credit cards and only pay cash for everything so they have absolutely no credit file with any of the bureaus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)