Absolute vs Turbo

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
So, if I want to get the new channels (MTV, Spike, etc.) when they come out on April 1, I assume I will need to change from Absolute to Turbo HD.

So I did the math. My bill currently looks like this:

Absolute HD With Locals: $34.99
Encore Movie Pack: $4.99
Dish CD: $4.99
DVR Fee: $5.99
2nd HD Receiver Fee: $7.00
TOTAL: $57.96

After Turbo Gold with Platinum (to get the same channels as Absolute plus the new channels), it would be this right?

Turbo HD Gold: $49.99
Platinum HD: $10.00
Encore: $4.99
Dish CD: $4.99
DVR Fee: $5.99
Local Channels: $5.00
2nd HD Receiver Fee: $7.00
TOTAL: $87.96 or $77.96 without DishCD or Encore.

So, $30 more than my current HD only package to get 6 new channels? Wow.

Even more wow since I could get Classic 250 with HD for $95.98:

Classic 250: $57.99
Gold HD: $10.00
Platinum HD: $10.00
DVR: $5.99
Locals: $5.00
2nd HD Receiver: $7.00
TOTAL: $95.98

So, Classic 250 + HD is only $18 more than HD only now?

Is this right? Seems like HD only isn't that great of a deal anymore?

Robert

Last edited:
Is this right? Seems like HD only isn't that great of a deal anymore?

Robert
Its not great! Fees are Killer in the Turbo Packs. Its Great for the average Guy with 1 HD TV and a VIP 211
Americas Everything pack with Locals, HD and DVR included is only $112.98
Thats the 250 Pack HBO,Cinemax,Showtime,Starz,and FREE DVR on ALL your DVR receivers

skierrob,
I agree with the general analysis (I have been crunching the numbers, too). I think you have a $5 error in the first set of numbers, though. DishHD Absolute includes Locals in the $34.99 price - and you have locals listed again separately. It has been some time since I have seen anyone with a second set of locals.

Another way to look at this is that Absolute and Bronze (talking TurboHD here) are equivalent in price.

The real dilemma is whether any or some combination of new channels is worth the loss of certain channels and/or more money per month. In my case, there are a couple of channels that I would consider switching to Bronze for - but not any higher package due to cost. I would give up some channels, but don't watch them much anyway. In other words, soon the difference between Absolute and Bronze will be a wash for me. At present, I am inclined to stick with Absolute out of stubbornness more than anything. However, if Dish drops Absolute I can guarantee they won't get anything higher than Bronze from me!

Cheers,
Red

oops... my math is off it seems. So it looks like there is about a $18 difference or so. Thanks for catching that! I have fixed the pricing above.

Personally, I am going to wait until I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that none of the new HD channels will be in Absolute before I change out of the package.

We have CI, none of the HD-Only packs have Fox news/business yet, I'm really curious to see if BET-J shows up tomorrow in absolute.

Also if you get TurboHD Gold with locals and DVR, they charge you $59.99 as Dish DVR Advantage so you save a dollar or so.

Personally, I am going to wait until I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that none of the new HD channels will be in Absolute before I change out of the package.

We have CI, none of the HD-Only packs have Fox news/business yet, I'm really curious to see if BET-J shows up tomorrow in absolute.
I know it is a long shot, but I think patience may be rewarded - there certainly should be no penalty!

I know it is a long shot, but I think patience may be rewarded - there certainly should be no penalty!
To be honest, if you take the cynics view of dish, they should have dropped Smithsonian without giving anything back to absolute subs (since they want you to get out of the package), yet there is CI/HD.

They way I look at it, if I ever did leave absolute, it would be for Turbo Silver. The math (for me) plays out something like this

currently:
29.99 Absolute
05.00 Locals
05.98 DVR fee
12.99 Starz Pack

If I would go Turbo Silver, I'd drop Starz and pull the "DVR advantage" flavor of the package

49.99 Turbo Silver DVR-advantage (includes locals)

In addition to the starz channels that I'd loose in HD (6 channels), I'd loose about 14 stations that I currently get. Right now, there are 2 channels silver has that I don't get (Big Ten and the PT CSN/Mid Atlantic) If dish adds the 7 viacom stations into the Turbo pack and opens the fox news up for Turbo subs, that's 10 channels (well more like 9.5 since one is only part time). If they add another 5.5 channels into silver (esp if it includes FX or G4) then I would be willing to go for it.

Keep in mind that the TurboHD packages get the regional sports nets, while the HD Absolute package does not. This is what caused me to give up on HD Absolute at the start of hockey season last year.

Keep in mind that the TurboHD packages get the regional sports nets, while the HD Absolute package does not. This is what caused me to give up on HD Absolute at the start of hockey season last year.

Which regional sports networks do you mean? I am on TurboHD Bronze and I don't think I get Fox Sports Arizona HD. Am I missing it?

The local RSN's (with mostly Game Only HD Coverage) are included in Turbo HD Silver and up (not in the bronze pack) likewise the Big Ten Net HD (if you live in a Big Ten State) is also Turbo HD silver and up...

i have the turbo gold. when dish got fox news hd we didn't get it as promised. (dish csr during sing up in january of this year and installer told me turbo gold would ensure all future hd except premiums.) what makes you think turbo gold will get spike or any other channels. i would wait til after to upgrade. i wouldn't tie myself into anything yet. i am waiting to see if i get these channels. if not, i too will be going from dish as bill has went up drastically.

As an Absolute sub, I've been crunching the numbers on this too.

At this point for 6 channels, it wouldn't be worth it to change to a Turbo package. Dish would have to have a massive roll-out of channels in order to make it worth my while to change. After listening to the Charlie Chat it sounds like they are "happy" with the amount of National HD they will have after April 1.

As an optimist, it will be interesting to wait & see if any of the Absolute subs get BET-J, or any other National (non-premium) HD channels as they roll out over the next few weeks. :hungry:

bet-j was quoted by charlie in chat as going to the 10.00 platinum group. so if you have the platinum trhen you'll get this

Absolute is the best deal for tv right now, IMHO. To bad other then that the DVR's are the only thing I see going for Dish right now.:eek:

Double check you're current statement. I had the DVR advantage w/ 250 upgrade & absolute, when February came in, I now have DVR advantage w/ 250 upgrade w/ Gold & Platinum HD... Names changed, the package didn't... The Turbo PKGs are HD ONLY. If you have anything w/ HD Gold & Platinum, you'll get the new HD channels that are added. No need go Turbo unless you don't want SD

Its not great! Fees are Killer in the Turbo Packs. Its Great for the average Guy with 1 HD TV and a VIP 211
Americas Everything pack with Locals, HD and DVR included is only $112.98
Thats the 250 Pack HBO,Cinemax,Showtime,Starz,and FREE DVR on ALL your DVR receivers

AEP is that inexpensive? I thought it was more. If so, I need to make some changes to my package soon. Does AEP include platinum HD and the sports packages (RSN's and Big 10)?

AEP is that inexpensive? I thought it was more. If so, I need to make some changes to my package soon. Does AEP include platinum HD and the sports packages (RSN's and Big 10)?
NO!
Only includes the RSNs that are your locals. Like Big Ten is a local RSN for my area ,but I'm not sure about yours. HD Platinum, Whats that? That High priced HD pack that has no channels in it? No thats still $10 and Multi Sports pack is still $6
But Free DVR service sold me, Since I have 3 DVRs

I was spending ,
102.99 AEP
HD Gold $10
Multi sports pack $6
HD Platinum for a While $10
$14 for my 3 HD receivers. 6 Rooms DVR included
$143 per month,
Then I dropped HD platinum and Sports pack ,and Now $133 per month,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)