AbsoluteHD BOMB!!! (Not True... uninformed CSR)

I quote from my own thread: "I have the HD Absolute package. It is obvious to me that Dish is losing money on this package. Why else whould they discontinue it and raise their HD Prices so drastically. It also makes sense that they have no inititive to add anymore HD to the HD Absolute package. Yet they promised that any new HD would be added to the package for no additional charge until Feb 2009. So the simple solution is not add any more National HD before Feb 2009. Then as they add HD that HD Absolute package subscribers want and we will be forced to change to the new more expensive packages. Plus as has been said many times on this forum, Dish already has "up to" 150 HD channels now. "

Last edited:
You guys are assuming Charley is trying to figure how to screw his HD Absolute customers. You will get some more HD channels, Charley has no wish to screw over a small group of subscribers for no significant benefit. It will probably be years until HD Absolute is discontinued or until a similar value package is available to replace it.

It is my understanding that the HD Absolute package will end in Feb.

This was said back earlier this year when the Turbo packages were made available.

It is my understanding that the HD Absolute package will end in Feb.
This is copy-and-pasted from an e-mail I rec'd back before I signed up for HD Absolute...
At this time, anyone who had the HD Absolute package before 8/1/08 has it "grandfathered" on their account. There has not been any plans to cancel this package for the customers that do have it "grandfathered".

Thank you,

Kristen
Executive Communications

I guess my question is how much did the package go up. From $29.99 per month Plus $5 for locals $34.99. No RSN"S at all. What is it Now, $54.99???
:up For that price, it needs to include the Viacom, Fox, and Rainbow networks we don't get. RSNs are expensive, but not that expensive.

I just wish they would come out and say what their plans for us absoluters are next year.

keep in mind, on hd absolute, your mpeg 2 receivers work. if you switch to hd turbo, then you cannot have any mpeg2 recievers on your account as only mpeg4 programming is available.

I am told more HD by the end of the year.

No idea if its anything more then Versus / Golf or what, I again am just told more HD by the end of the year.

I am keeping my ear to the ground. :)

Looking at the uplinks I would speculate that we could be receiving 8 new HD channels.
What channels is anybody's guess but I think some will be Showtime channels since Showtime currently only has one channel in HD.

Looking at the uplinks I would speculate that we could be receiving 8 new HD channels.
What channels is anybody's guess but I think some will be Showtime channels since Showtime currently only has one channel in HD.

Good guess, since Showtime would not be in the HD Absolute package.

Charlie specifically said it on a Charlie Chat earlier this year, maybe March or April. Nothing written of course, but he was certainly pretty clear about it verbally. He specifically said, while promoting the HD Only pack, that any new HD channels released would be added to the HD only pack for the remainder of the year.
Yes, it was the same Charlie Chat that Charles himself said that the Sherman/Ada locals would be availble in HD in 30-45 days. We all see how well that has worked out.

If no more HD channels were added to HD Absolute, it would take a lot of tremendously exciting programming to get me to hop off my $34.95/month easy chair and pay $20 more.

HD RSN's won't do it, FOX news HD won't do it.

As a matter of fact, right now I see NOTHING that will get me off HD Absolute for $20 more.

Good guess, since Showtime would not be in the HD Absolute package.

Didn't think of that but Charlie could add several Showtime HD channels as well as increase the number of HBO, Cinemax, and Starz HD channels. Plenty are available.

The end result would be that no one with the absolute package would get any new HD but the additional HD premium channels would make subscribers happy and could possibly entice others to subscribe to them.

If no more HD channels were added to HD Absolute, it would take a lot of tremendously exciting programming to get me to hop off my $34.95/month easy chair and pay $20 more.

HD RSN's won't do it, FOX news HD won't do it.

As a matter of fact, right now I see NOTHING that will get me off HD Absolute for $20 more.

I would make the move for the return of VOOM. :hungry:

another old equipment question

Dish Holiday Channel Is On Now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)