access card fee

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pa1000

Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I will be adding a used dvr and deactivating a receiver at the same time. the dvr already has the current access card but I've read direct tv sometimes requires you to purchase one anyway for $20. is there any way they will activate it without having to purchase a new access card?

Directv works different than Dish network....They will probably want you to pay the 20 bucks, if you get the right person though you can get around this. I myself admit it is ridiculous, just another way to get more money, however it is the way it is sometimes.

I tried to do this a couple months ago, but it did not work. I explained that I had done it in the past, which I had, but she told me it was the new policy that cards are locked to a receiver forever now and they cannot be changed. I asked to speak to a supervisor but she told me they would tell me the same thing.

i also found out that if you don't activate the card within 7 days after you receive it, directv will charge you another 20 dollars. rip off city!

If the card is the origional card to that receiver and you had that receiver activated in the past on your account you don't need a new access card. It is my understanding that you only need a new access card if you got the reciever by other means such as ebay. Keep in mind that the card has to be somewhat recent, not an old HU footbal card for example.

When a access card is installed into a receiver, it 'marries' the box. It cannot be installed in another box. I know with some of the old receivers this was not the case though. The reason for becoming 'married' is part of the anti-theft of content battle. In the past, some people would buy cards from folk who would change the software on the cards to enable all channels, all ppv for free. Then, the consumer would sell their card, it would get re-programmed and sold off to another consumer. The 'marrying' of the card meant it could only be used in the receiver it was originally installed in.

So why even have a card? If it is "married" to the box, why not have this technology just built into the box?

That is an excelent question. I suspose it is a money making idea.

It could also be used to combat signal theft by replacing old cards every so often and requiring upgrades. If the cards or microchips were internal people would figure out a way to get to to them and would have receiver with every channel broadcasted.

As a former retailer, I know this "marrying" concept is false. Retailers can call a special number to have the Access Cards moved to a different piece of equipment. It just takes a signal to the receiver to reprogram/switch the card, or just an update on the D* servers.

I do understand that D* doesn't want into enter this type of service for residential accounts due to many unknown and known variables.

When I had directv I bought a $50 receiver from walmart and it did not include a card, they didn't have a problem moving a card from an old receiver to the new one. I think its just a policy change, not a technical requirement.

Dish Network has cardless receivers but they only stay cardless until a card swap happens.

As a former retailer, I know this "marrying" concept is false. Retailers can call a special number to have the Access Cards moved to a different piece of equipment. It just takes a signal to the receiver to reprogram/switch the card, or just an update on the D* servers.

I do understand that D* doesn't want into enter this type of service for residential accounts due to many unknown and known variables.

While true, a card can only be moved to a new receiver ONCE. After it's married to it's new receiver, that's it. You can't place it in another receiver, and you can't even have it remarried to it's original receiver. I learned this the hard way during a 3 hour phone call with ISS while doing an install.

As a consumer I too know it to be false that you cannot get a divorce & re-marry. I've done it twice in the last 12 months due to 2 receivers that died.

That said sometimes it's almost like CSR roulette partly because 1st tier CSRs can't make the change. The retention dept or access card team can do it. On the 2nd card it took me several attempts but when I got to the person who knew how to do it it only took like 10 seconds! :rolleyes:

Some will tell you it can't be done. In my case I know one rep tried to do it for me but I'm certain she forgot to unmarry the card first because she said it was married to another receiver and she refused to try a 2nd time even when I politely explained that's what would account for it.

I am told some older receivers may or may not be able to re-marry. I was told that by the 2 reps who were able to transfer the card so I tend to believe them.

So when I shop for a backup receiver at a thrift store I try to make sure there is a card in the box to hopefully improve my odds of a successful transition. But so far I've been able to move the card to the thrift store $2 receivers I got on the cheap and actually wound up needing. Direct TV DOES want you back in service ASAP and happy. But the reps can only work with what they know.

I wanted to activate an old DVR that didn't have a card, I have a really old phillips receiver that does have a card. They said I could not use the card out of the phillips receiver in my RCA dvr. They said it would cost 20 bucks for new card..I said no thanks....I hung up, called back , got customer retension, now they are shipping me a new HD Receiver for yes 20 bucks.....oh ya it comes with a new access card

they ended up making me pay for a new card. i'm extremely upset about this, it makes me consider quitting dtv altogether. when i talked to the csr she said it has always been their policy to make people buy a new card, I asked why I had several used recievers activated without needing a new card in the past and she said "it must have been a mistake". when i first got direct tv it was because they were easy to deal with on issues like this. now with issues like this and their new policy of being 'selective' of their customers and requiring 2 yr contracts they have become terrible to deal with. i hope they lose lots of business.

they ended up making me pay for a new card. i'm extremely upset about this, it makes me consider quitting dtv altogether. when i talked to the csr she said it has always been their policy to make people buy a new card, I asked why I had several used recievers activated without needing a new card in the past and she said "it must have been a mistake". when i first got direct tv it was because they were easy to deal with on issues like this. now with issues like this and their new policy of being 'selective' of their customers and requiring 2 yr contracts they have become terrible to deal with. i hope they lose lots of business.

Before last fall they would of paid YOU to take the smart card. What a difference another 80 or 90 hd channels makes. Now they feel that they can gouge you and trap you into a 24 month commitment anytime you MOVE or add another receiver to your account etc. THey are getting a bit arrogant and as they always say: "pride always cometh before a great fall . "

Before last fall they would of paid YOU to take the smart card. What a difference another 80 or 90 hd channels makes. Now they feel that they can gouge you and trap you into a 24 month commitment anytime you MOVE or add another receiver to your account etc. THey are getting a bit arrogant and as they always say: "pride always cometh before a great fall . "

As a former employee, most all of this post is either out of context or just wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ESPN Channel 206

SNY HD Now In Dolby Digital 5.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)