Access card linked to its receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nhulst

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
My question in short: Is an access card tied at the hip to its receiver at the time of activation, or can it be moved between receivers?

The back story...

It took me two tries to get DirecTV installed. On the first try, a national contractor got about halfway through the install and then ripped everything out and left, saying that my property did not have an adequate LOS :mad: I re-ordered through a local retailer with a competent installer and confirmed that this was definitely not the case. I am now all set up with an HR21 and two D12's.

When I said "ripped EVERYTHING out", I was exaggerating a bit... it seems that the first installer forgot to bring one of the D12's back with him. When I noticed this, I called D* and explained the situation. The CSR asked for my phone number and account number, and he couldn't find either one in the system. This is good, because it means the old account was deleted properly. (Side note: My equipment fee was credited back and the service associated with the old account was never activated.) When I asked the CSR what to do with this receiver, he said "throw it away or sell it, I guess." The installer never left any contact information and the D* CSR couldn't look up who it was what with my account having been deleted.

Of course, I haven't thrown it away or sold it. One alternative would be to take it apart and see what's inside because I'm nerdy like that :p Otherwise, I was wondering about putting it in a different location in my house or even in the garage, and pulling an access card from one of my other receivers to use with it. I am well aware that the receiver only works when an activated access card is present, but even that wouldn't work if the access card latches on to its receiver at the time of activation. Would this work?

My question in short: Is an access card tied at the hip to its receiver at the time of activation, or can it be moved between receivers?

The back story...

It took me two tries to get DirecTV installed. On the first try, a national contractor got about halfway through the install and then ripped everything out and left, saying that my property did not have an adequate LOS :mad: I re-ordered through a local retailer with a competent installer and confirmed that this was definitely not the case. I am now all set up with an HR21 and two D12's.

When I said "ripped EVERYTHING out", I was exaggerating a bit... it seems that the first installer forgot to bring one of the D12's back with him. When I noticed this, I called D* and explained the situation. The CSR asked for my phone number and account number, and he couldn't find either one in the system. This is good, because it means the old account was deleted properly. (Side note: My equipment fee was credited back and the service associated with the old account was never activated.) When I asked the CSR what to do with this receiver, he said "throw it away or sell it, I guess." The installer never left any contact information and the D* CSR couldn't look up who it was what with my account having been deleted.

Of course, I haven't thrown it away or sold it. One alternative would be to take it apart and see what's inside because I'm nerdy like that :p Otherwise, I was wondering about putting it in a different location in my house or even in the garage, and pulling an access card from one of my other receivers to use with it. I am well aware that the receiver only works when an activated access card is present, but even that wouldn't work if the access card latches on to its receiver at the time of activation. Would this work?

Access cards ARE "married" to its receiver.

If this Access Card needs to be moved permenantly , like you get another rec., D* can tranfer it, if the determine that it is the correct gender for your new (other ) rec., but NO you cannot move it at will.

Jimbo

I just moved a card from a broken Tivo to a new Tivo for a client a couple weeks ago.
When I called D* to have them do it, they had to x-fer me to the access card dept to do it.
They told me the AC dept has to do all remarries now - but they DID do it with no problem.

The key is, when you ask for it to be moved, just tell them your existing receiver is broken & you are moving it to a spare one that does NOT have a card & you usually won't get a hassle. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts