Accessing/Monitoring a HughesNet HN7000 or HN9000 Modem System Pages Remotely

AlanRT

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
A tech-savvy customer asked me about this the other day, and it reminded me of something I had occasionaly wondered about.

Does anyone know if you can access the Modem's system status and advanced pages remotely, and how this would be done? Possibly through a connected router with remote access enabled?

I can see a few stats for my customer accounts through HN's Installer OVT tool, but it would help in diagnosis if I could access some of the other config details.

Obviously significant security issues around this type of access.

The only way you could do this is to have a computer with Remote Access connected to the modem. I do this all the time with our routers, firewall, and modems by connecting to our server through a remote desktop connection. You will need to port forward 3389 to the computer you wish to have access to from a router. Then you can use the built in remote desktop connection Windows uses. I think only Professional versions and Server versions of Windows allow this. The customer will also need a static IP or need to know their IP address at the time. Otherwise you can use a simple VNC connection from a third party software like tightvnc.com.

Hey Alan have you been to the hughes summit yet or know when it is? Curious about packages & pricing on the new sat.

I'm pretty anxious to start doing installs off the new satellite.
If it is good speed with decent usage I believe I'll cancel my mediocre dsl that is supposed to be 3 meg that has been running under 1 meg for the last couple of weeks.
Didn't mean to derail your thread. Port forwarding can be pretty cut & dry or just plain frustrating, but accessing the modem remotely is something I have never thought about either. That is a good question.
HCI is a smart individual & I wouldn't have thought about that solution, but it seems like a logical answer. Not sure I would try to explain that to most customers.

HCI, thanks for that. I forwarded the info on to my client. He seemed to grasp that. I'll have to set up a couple of PCs here and try it. I have many clients in Mexico so this would be a good diagnostic tool since I can't make a service call onsite in many cases.

GEN4 will be a biggie in our area. I have a backlog of customers for it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)