According to CNNSI, NCAA wants to overhaul the rulebook

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Interesting read, I am wondering if the NCAA will punish the univeristies where it really hurts....in the pocket..and make them give back any monies earned during a bowl appearance when caught cheating.

NCAA looks at smaller rulebook, tougher penalties Story HighlightsINDIANAPOLIS (AP)

NCAA leaders are ready to give college sports a complete overhaul.

They want to simplify the massive 439-page Division I rulebook, enforce stronger penalties for rule-breakers, increase academic standards and link academic performance to possible postseason bans. And if NCAA President Mark Emmert gets his way, all of this would be approved in the next 12 months.

It's a far cry from the stodgy, deliberative days of past NCAA administrations.

"What's different is a lot of things have reached a boiling point," Penn State president Graham Spanier said after Emmert's two-day presidential retreat wrapped up Wednesday. "The board of directors has the authority to make some decisions that it has been reluctant to do before, but I think the presidents have reached a point where they're saying too many things are not working well. So the board needs to take stronger actions from the top."

Thursday's board meeting represents the first test to see if that will happen.

A new cutline for the Academic Progress Rate, the calculation used to evaluate whether each team at a school is making sufficient progress toward graduation, was already on the docket. The current cutline is 925. Emmert wants it increased to 930 immediately and perhaps higher in future years.

Failure to meet the cutline, Emmert said, should result in postseason bans in all sports.

Read more: NCAA looks at smaller rulebook, tougher penalties - NCAA Basketball - SI.com

salsadancer7 said:
LOL! IF they did THAT, they would not have to overhaul the rulebook.

Sure they would, the got about a Bizzilion Stupid rules, they could narrow it down to ones that actually SHOULD be rules.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I have thought for a long time the NCAA needed to have about 25 rules, be consistent, and hit the cheaters where it hurts. They, as much as possible, need to let student athletes abide by the same rules as other students. For example, allow the parents of one kid to buy a plane ticket for a team mate to visit during the holidays. Some way they got to let the kids earn a little money like other students or pay them a small allowance during the school year. I understand the kids are getting a scholarship but do they hold other kids to the same rules who receive scholarships? Most of the rules they have are just plain dumb.

Enforcing academic standards would be a good start. My nephew graduated from Michigan (football scholarship) three years ago. He's a pretty smart kid (1370 SAT) and was hoping to major in chemical engineering. However, the football program was so time intensive he could only earn a general studies degree (don't recall his major). He is back in school earning an engineering degree. Again, football should not be a full-time job. Kids wishing to pursue football as a career should join the NFL, CFL or play football overseas.

Enforcing academic standards would be a good start. My nephew graduated from Michigan (football scholarship) three years ago. He's a pretty smart kid (1370 SAT) and was hoping to major in chemical engineering. However, the football program was so time intensive he could only earn a general studies degree (don't recall his major). He is back in school earning an engineering degree. Again, football should not be a full-time job. Kids wishing to pursue football as a career should join the NFL, CFL or play football overseas.

Good for your nephew going back and continuing his efforts to get the degree he wanted !

How many people have you seen get into the NFL without going thru College of some type ?

How many people have you seen get into the NFL without going thru College of some type ?

Very few...but even more rare are football players (we won't mention conferences) who can speak like they've actually attended college; Sports Communications = GED. Anyway, here is an interesting stat on graduation rates:

Schools in the nation's 11 major football-playing conferences that are doing the best and worst jobs of graduating athletes in all their sports*:

Conference Best Rate Worst Rate
Atlantic Coast Duke 97% North Carolina State 72%
Big East Football: Rutgers 87% South Florida 71%
Big Ten Northwestern 97% Purdue 78%
Big 12 Kansas State 81% Texas Tech 67%
Conference USA Rice 95% Alabama-Birmingham 67%
Mid-American Miami (Ohio) 86% Ball State 71%
Mountain West Air Force 90% San Diego State 67%
Pacific 10 Stanford 94% Arizona 65%
Southeastern Vanderbilt 93% Mississippi, Arkansas 72%
Sun Belt Western Kentucky 79% San Jose State 53%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)