Jerry Rice with some harsh words for Randy Moss...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Tue Aug 09 10:43am EDT

Jerry Rice says Randy Moss’ laziness was like a ‘slap in the face’

By Chris Chase

Jerry Rice never played with Randy Moss(notes) but still took his perceived lack of work ethic personally.

The all-time receiving great was asked about the recently retired Moss Tuesday morning on ESPN Radio. PFT has the transcript:

"It was hard for me to swallow because I was not as talented and I had to work harder," Rice said. "To see a guy with that much talent not give it 100 percent, it was almost like a little slap in the face. But Randy was Randy." [...]

"He could have been one of the greatest if he had worked just a little bit harder. [...] I don't think he wanted to give it 100 percent. You never knew what you were going to get with Randy. Sometimes you'd get the unbelievable guy, the amazing guy. Other times you'd get the guy that took a couple plays off
."

Rice's frustration is understandable. He had a talent that would have allowed him to become a fine NFL receiver. His work ethic and effort is what turned him into the greatest ever. To him, it's unfathomable that someone could not take full advantage of their athletic gifts.

This is why it's hard for some great athletes to take jobs as coaches or in front offices. Men who have failed in such roles -- Michael Jordan and Ted Williams immediately come to mind -- see young players squander talent or fail to harness it and can't relate to it. Rice sees a guy like Moss and knows that if he put in the effort on the practice fields, he could have rewritten the record books. He knows that if he himself had Moss' talent, the records he set would be even more untouchable.

The fact that Rice chose to make these "controversial" comments the day after he was hired by ESPN as an NFL analyst is merely coincidence, we're certain. Piling on Randy Moss has been done, Jerry. Take a page from your own book and work hard at this new job. Come up with some insightful commentary. Don't be a Randy and take the easy way out.

Jerry Rice says Randy Moss’ laziness was like a ‘slap in the face’ - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Jerry isn't saying anything groundbreaking here. Randy certainly had all the talent in the world, but never the drive or work ethic that Jerry had.

Nothing I didn't already know.......

Yeah.....it was KNOWN but never SAID as bluntly from a peer. If you hear it from a former offensive linemen-now-analyst....who give a sh** because in reality they know nothing about what a WR, but when the criticism from a fellow peer....a HOF peer...well that's another story.

Yeah.....it was KNOWN but never SAID as bluntly from a peer. If you hear it from a former offensive linemen-now-analyst....who give a sh** because in reality they know nothing about what a WR, but when the criticism from a fellow peer....a HOF peer...well that's another story.
oh i understand why you posted the info. :) i will add this....... both moss and owens have emotional issues. i mean disorders that need attention with medication and therapy. trust me. i've dealt with enough people with similar behavior problems. set aside their wealth $$ i feel bad for these two individuals who have issues who no one has the guts to tell them they need medical attention. in T.O's case it really hit me that he had a problem when he cried after romo was criticized during his time with the cowboys. emotional disorders cause people to do things most can't comprehend. moss is messed up as well. its a shame because both of these WR's had the talent to become the next jerry rice. but jerry worked hard at it and was a stable human being. he is still the best wr i have ever seen.........

I think Mort said something about Moss being a lazy SOB too.

I guess I would be angry if Randy went to my team, realized that it was football abyss with no leadership so he quit on them than got traded for a bag of balls. Went to a new team and lit if the **** up. Did he play up to his full potential all the time? I don't know, but I pretty sure he did 2007-2009.

I know there is a quarterback playing and getting a lot of money in Kansas City that should thank Randy everyday for what he got.

I guess I would be angry if Randy went to my team, realized that it was football abyss with no leadership so he quit on them than got traded for a bag of balls. Went to a new team and lit if the **** up. Did he play up to his full potential all the time? I don't know, but I pretty sure he did 2007-2009.

I know there is a quarterback playing and getting a lot of money in Kansas City that should thank Randy everyday for what he got.

Take all the shots you want at the Raiders, and they WERE bad, but you are STILL supposed to be a professional. AND you have an obligation AS A PROFESSIONAL to give your all every day. There have been PLENTY of crappy teams with 1/10th of his talent and still give that 100%. The 1-15 Dolphins is the immediate team that came to mind.

Take all the shots you want at the Raiders, and they WERE bad, but you are STILL supposed to be a professional. AND you have an obligation AS A PROFESSIONAL to give your all every day. There have been PLENTY of crappy teams with 1/10th of his talent and still give that 100%. The 1-15 Dolphins is the immediate team that came to mind.
can't disagree with that. one thing moss has been plenty in his career and thats unprofessional

i did see moss quit on a few plays in his last season with the pats. its what he does. but when he's at his best you get what you guys experienced,especially in your 18-1 season. awesome display of offense by the pats that season and part of the credit must go to moss.

Still, it's a wussy thing for Rice to do. He gets an ESPN contract, so he has to make himself newsworthy.

I remember when Curt Schilling started dumping on Manny for being a jerk AFTER Schilling had retired. Where was Shillings big mouth when he had to share a locker room and a dugout with Manny?

Still, it's a wussy thing for Rice to do. He gets an ESPN contract, so he has to make himself newsworthy.

I remember when Curt Schilling started dumping on Manny for being a jerk AFTER Schilling had retired. Where was Shillings big mouth when he had to share a locker room and a dugout with Manny?

Is it me or does EVERYONE now wanna be the Charles Barkely of sports analyst? Having to say SOMETHING controversial every time to be bigger than the story itself?

Jerry's not the only one with harsh words for Moss. Ex- Vikings coach, Brad Childress rips Moss too........

"We had good guys, by and large, [but Moss] walked in the locker room and vomited on it," he told the league's website.

The Vikings acquired Moss from the New England Patriots after starting the 2010 season 1-2. The team waived him four weeks later after going 1-3 in his four games. Moss was claimed by the Tennessee Titans and then this offseason announced he was retiring after 13 seasons.

Ex-Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress rips Randy Moss - ESPN

Jerry's not the only one with harsh words for Moss. Ex- Vikings coach, Brad Childress rips Moss too........

The Vikings acquired Moss from the New England Patriots after starting the 2010 season 1-2. The team waived him four weeks later after going 1-3 in his four games. Moss was claimed by the Tennessee Titans and then this offseason announced he was retiring after 13 seasons.

Ex-Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress rips Randy Moss - ESPN

NOW??!! But when he was winning games for them, he didn't say jacksh**....LOL! Again, proving the point that when your winning, lockerroom chemistry means nothing until you start losing....and of course, lose your job. LOL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)