According to CSR, I need 129, not 61.5 for MPEG4 HD channels.. is this right?

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
I just got off the phone with a Dish CSR who informed me that in order to get all of the available HD channels, not only do I need an MPEG4 receiver, but I also need a Dish 1000. I was under the impression that a Dish 500 and a dish at 61.5 would do the trick, but the CSR was saying that instead of 61.5 I will need to pick up the 129 satellite. So, is all the HD programming that I am currently getting from 61.5 on 129 as well? And the new HD channels and future HD channels will be on 129 but not 61.5? Also, are all the HD channels on 129 in MPEG2 or MPEG4? I will still have an 811 and 942, so I would like to continue being able to get the HD channels that are on the 61.5 satellite in MPEG2 when I have a Dish 1000 and am getting the channels from 129 instead.

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

Called back again. I was told that I can just swing my 61.5 dish around to pick up the 129 satellite and don't have to get a Dish 1000 setup. The current HD channels on 61.5 are also on 129 in MPEG2. So, I'll just do that.

Hey,

No, I am in the Knoxville market. Dish probably won't offer the Knoxville locals in HD for quite a while I am guessing. It doesn't really matter, though, I pick them up very well off-air.

sort of...

HD is on 129 & 61.5 BUT LIL (if your market is available) is on 129 UNLESS your area cant see 129 (NE part of US or South Florida)

so right now you will be fine with the 2 dish setup but if your HD locals are added to 129, then you need a D1000 :)

Iceberg said:
sort of...

HD is on 129 & 61.5 BUT LIL (if your market is available) is on 129 UNLESS your area cant see 129 (NE part of US or South Florida)

so right now you will be fine with the 2 dish setup but if your HD locals are added to 129, then you need a D1000 :)

No, he will not need a Dish1000, if or when Knoxville HD locals make it to a E* satellite and if E* places them on 129, then all he would need to do is move his 61.5 dish to 129, otherwise until or if that happens he can leave his current set up of a Dish500 pointed to 110/119 and a 2nd Dish300 or 500 pointed to 61.5.

I suspect that if or when Knoxville and Chattanooga HD locals make it to the satellite they will likely be on the Rainbow spotbeam satellite on 61.5 or possibly even back to the SuperDish 105 (I kind of doubt SD105, but who knows what the future may bring), we have no problems getting 61.5 here in E TN and I suspect their is only going to be a limited number of HD locals on 129 unless E* places a Spotbeam satellite their in the future. I suspect HD locals will be spread out on several satellite locations, most will go to 61.5 or 148, some are already on 129, but in the long term I doubt very many will go their, and a few may end up on 110 and or 119 spotbeams. Most National HD channels will likley remain mirrored on both 61.5 and 129 with some HD Nationals on 110.

I was told the same thing

When I was upgraded to my 2nd VIP211, the CRS told me I "needed Dish 1000 to get all the HD channels E* offers". I told the CRS I already get the HD channels on 61.5. The CRS stated, "We'll I ordering you the Dish 1000. If the tech doesn't install it, he doesn't install it". :confused: When the installer called the following morning to confirm my install, I questioned him about the Dish 1000 install. The tech said they no longer install the Dish 1000 in my area (South Central Florida).

Iceberg said:
SD105 is a leased satellite so once E10 goes up, they are moving those locals off 105 and onto 110 :)

I realize this, it is the SD 105 locals that are moving to 110. What I was saying is that once all of the SD locals are off of 105, their is a possibility that HD locals could go their for some of the smaller markets. Now that E* has most of the SD lil markets up and with E10 on 1 dish(Dish500 or 1000), E* will now concentrate on expanding markets for HD locals, and they will need every satellite location that they own or lease to accomplish this. I just do not believe like some here seam to believe that E* will abandon any of the orbital locations that they own or lease.

It is probably a wise decision for the CSRs to always put a D1000 on the work order. Take the decision out of their hands and make it a mandatory. The installers on the East Coast will know when it isn't needed.

DucTape said:
Hope they don't try and make the east coasters go 129 cause I for one will never get 129.
That's why everything is mirrored between 61.5 and 129.

The 129 slot (at least with the existing bird) is not true CONUS (Continental US), and even if they replace it wth something that has a better footprint, the angles are still too low for the easties.

And let's defuse the one-dish question for 61.5/110/119. It's NOT going to happen - you can't get a 58 degree spread off one parabolic pan. They COULD build a crazy-looking multi-curve unit, but there's simply NO point in it - it would still have to be abut as big as two separate pans.

There is one other reason that would cause a 2 dish solution and that is the SkyAngel suite is 61.5 only. There are a couple of channels at 129 not anywhere else so a complete solution would need at least a 3 sat look and possibly 4. This is of course, an extreme exception.

I am having a D-1000 installed today replacing a two dish set-up (110/119/61.5). I current.y have a CBS-HD East feed. Does anyone know if CBS-HD East is being transmitted on 129? I am in east Texas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts