Accroding to ESPN: Raiders and Russell agree to deal

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
More than likely, it is too late for this year, now if we can hold together long if for "boy wonder" to be ready for next year.:rolleyes: Looks like Andre Walter is history....I figure they will keep Daunte to groom the rookie.....

Ending months of negotiations and a holdout that stretched to more than six weeks, the Oakland Raiders reached a contract agreement in principle with JaMarcus Russell, the former LSU quarterback who was the first overall selection in the 2007 draft, on Monday. Barring any glitches, and contingent on formalities like him passing a physical exam, ESPN.com has confirmed that Russell will officially sign a six-year contract on Tuesday and should be on the field for the team's Wednesday practice.

There is still considerable work to be done, however, in terms of drawing up the contract, and a source close to the negotiations said late Monday that the two sides could still be working "very late into the night and maybe into [Tuesday] morning" to craft the precise language of the deal. ESPN.com has learned that Russell is still not in the Bay Area, and will not fly to Oakland until his representatives feel comfortable with all the details of the contract. Sources said the contract, hammered out in four days of marathon face-to-face negotiations in the Bay Area, has a maximum value of at least $61 million. The deal also includes about $31-$32 million in guarantees and an attractive payout schedule that will enable Russell to earn substantially more in the first three seasons of the deal than the $20.95 million that Houston Texans defensive end Mario Williams, the top overall selection in the 2006 draft, will bank in his first three years. There are also at least $3 million in guarantees in the fourth season of Russell's deal, and he will also make more in that period than the $23.35 million that Williams will pocket in his first four years.

ESPN - Sources: Russell, Raiders agree to six-year deal - NFL

Hopefully, he will be the cornerstone of the franchise for years to come. Get him a little speed in the wide out and could be on our way to a little respectability.

They have had WR speed and still do mostly; they have had decent RB as well, since Gannon's last season they have lacked even a HS quality OL. That is what we NEED.

Well he was covered and Curry was open.

I know he is a pretty good receiver, but I was VERY pleasantly surprise by he work-mans effort to get open....:up Though the plays was shoddy at times, I was very optimistic about the direction of the team. I saw ALOT of comradery on the side lines that I did not see in the past years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)