Acquiring Satellite

terrylab5

Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Sorry if this post is in wrong forum-
Dish 500 customer using dp301 receiver

using dish for 5 years no probs then monday 3:00 pm get acquiring satellite message (no weather, trees etc.) happens off and on all evening ( as many as 10-15 / hr)
called dish and went through the reset, unplug run test - no answer as to problem
Tuesday same problem checked cables changed sw21 switch called for local tech to look at it thursday.
Wednesday 6:00 pm after going through acquiring process for several minutes picture came up and stayed up.
Thursday turned on tv aok. Tech came and told him and he said it was probably the switch and after it reset it fixed. 3:00 wouldn't you know it---back to the acquiring signal message any ideas????
thanks

Bad lines perhaps. If it was installed 5 years ago, there's a great chance there's staples in the lines.

If the braiding looks chalky, not shiny near the ground block (or anywhere) that is a tell tale sign.

All connections should be check as well.

How do you check signal strength?
He did do a switch check - and when he was here everything was working and it showed ok, but later when it was messed up the switch check showed sat 110- good but 119 wasn't later it was ok again when working.
Friday 2:30 it's working but it's not the dreaded 3:00 yet. cross your fingers.

The signal strength is anywhere from 105 - 118 or so when it locks in but it does not hold the signal. That's why it keeps going back to acquiring satellite signal screen. Depending on tests are run it sometimes can't find sat 119 others 110 ????????

Did the tech change the switch? My guess is same as rcdallas said. I work check all connections, my bet is you have a bad connector somewhere.

also, are you losing signal on all channels, or just on some? since you have single lnb's and already replaced the SW21, this could tell you which lnb you are having issues with.

When it's out it's all out. Sunday 5:00 it started working again and it's been 3 hours without any probs...

The signal strength is anywhere from 105 - 118 or so when it locks in but it does not hold the signal. That's why it keeps going back to acquiring satellite signal screen. Depending on tests are run it sometimes can't find sat 119 others 110 ????????
Call dish..have them issue a service call..It should be free unless you are not under warranty..Anyway, the tech should have everything on his truck to fix the problem..Now FYI, there are a few things that can cause the issue..BAd receiver..Bad LNB. Bad ground block. Bad cable..BTW 5 years is not a long time for coax..Unless the cable connections are not moisture resistant, it is unlikely the cable is the problem..All connections should be checked thoroughly for corrosion. The tech should check the entire system.

Thanks to all for the help
really appreciate it
Replaced LNB worked better for a while then back to the same old tricks. Then replaced receiver and voila... I think maybe it's going to be OK 3 hours without as much as a hiccup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)