Activate XM US Sub With Canadian Radio?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

leeeevy

Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I have a 2007 Pontiac G5 GT bought, registered (plates) and insured in Ontario Canada and my free XM Subscription ran out in mid-Feb. I decided rather than pay more in Canada and get less stations (130 on Cdn vs 170 on US) I would sign up on American XM. Unfortunately XM USA Customer Service Reps told me I was unable to because my Radio's ID was from Canada.
Does anyone know if there is a way around this?
Can I say I bought the car from my friend in Canada who moved to Europe or something and I am now with it in the USA?
Speak to a manager maybe?
Am I just getting unlucky and speaking to the wrong reps? I did try two different toll free numbers. It doesn't make sense to me that I am not able to subscribe to the American XM with a Canadian Radio ID...what if one were to move? Or as I mentioned above, sold their car to an American? Or never mind the car, what if I was on a trip to Canada from the USA and bought an portable XM radio in Best Buy in Canada and brought it back to the USA, would they tell me I couldn't sign up for a subscription in the States?
Any input on this would be most appreciated!!!

well no input from you guys unfortunately but in case anyone searches this problem out and finds my post i wanted to give a roundup of the end result of my quest -

long story short i got my xm us subscription

long story long:

After my previous post did not have a chance to call again because got caught up with other things.
Called today - a different # this time 1-866-SHOP-XM-1 (1-866-746-7961) and spoke to a good (in my books) CSR who set me up no problem with Canadian or American radios etc When I told her I wanted to pay US$77 she asked me where I had seen the deal I told her I couldn't remember. She said fine and did it with no need for a coupon code!!!
She wanted to charge me activation and I asked her if she is sure that is to be charged a couple seconds on hold and no activation charge for me!
I asked her what it came out to with tax etc and she said US$77!
She said though that in signing up for this deal I had to pre-sign up for a 1 year subscription for 2009-2010 at the normal rate whatever it might be by then (currently US$142) but I could always cancel it later in the year and it wouldnt be charged to my credit card until April 30, 2009.
YAY! I got my XM goodness back!

Thanks for the info. Good old google brought me here, as I had the same issue this evening. I will give em a call tomorrow. Just curious, what was the 77 dollar charge for?

Sorry you did not get a reply earlier, I can only mark that up to none of us really knowing how to help you. And thanks for posting your follow up.

Well, it's nice it worked out for you, but I'm pretty sure they're violating Canadian law. Part of the effort to maintain a separate national identity.

As far as the "what if I was on a trip to Canada from the USA and bought an portable XM radio in Best Buy in Canada and brought it back to the USA" part, the purchaser would be required to see a shrink, considering that he would have paid a higher price in Canada, what with all the taxes on top of what is normally a higher base price anyway! ;)

Interesting to see how and if the XM/Sirius merger will affect you in the coming years.

Best of luck to you, and may you always be able to renew with no trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts