SiriusXM app on OnePlus 9 Pro takes over SiriusXM on radio when using Android Auto

Autoeng

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004

I have several vehicles and some have SiriusXM subs on the radio and others do not so I use the SiriusXM app on my OnePlus 9 Pro over bluetooth for those that don't. On my 2021 Kia Sorento factory head unit I have a SiriusXM sub but whenever I use Android Auto (wired connection) the phone's SiriusXM app starts displaying and playing on Android Auto automatically. That would be fine but I can't change channels on the head unit, only on the phone itself (that's a pain). If I select the Radio button on the head unit it changes over to the SiriusXM sub of the radio where I can change the channels. The problem is that the SiriusXM display on the Android Auto screen stays on whatever channel song was playing on the phone app when I changed it over and never changes and to change the channel I have to use the steering wheel controls, not the SiriusXM widget or screen interface of Android Auto.

I guess that this isn't a OnePlus issue but a Sirius App issue and how can I stop it from automatically launching when I connect with Andriod Auto. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know please.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
FWIW, I stopped using Android Auto because
  1. The volume is too damn loud and the volume control is hard to find. Why can't I just turn down the radio's volume control knob?
  2. Display is nice, but I just use Google Maps via voice turn by turn navigation. We shouldn't be looking at the map display anyhow.
  3. Must use USB cable. What moron made that a requirement? My wife bought an $80 Bluetooth adapter to fix this.

I have several vehicles and some have SiriusXM subs on the radio and others do not so I use the SiriusXM app on my OnePlus 9 Pro over bluetooth for those that don't. On my 2021 Kia Sorento factory head unit I have a SiriusXM sub but whenever I use Android Auto (wired connection) the phone's SiriusXM app starts displaying and playing on Android Auto automatically. That would be fine but I can't change channels on the head unit, only on the phone itself (that's a pain). If I select the Radio button on the head unit it changes over to the SiriusXM sub of the radio where I can change the channels. The problem is that the SiriusXM display on the Android Auto screen stays on whatever channel song was playing on the phone app when I changed it over and never changes and to change the channel I have to use the steering wheel controls, not the SiriusXM widget or screen interface of Android Auto.

I guess that this isn't a OnePlus issue but a Sirius App issue and how can I stop it from automatically launching when I connect with Andriod Auto. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know please.

I just saw your post. Probably too late to help, In Android Auto there is a setting to not allow media to play on start up. OR - if for some reason that does not work (It should though) then play some other music source, and at worst that will play upon AA starting and you can just stop it, having no effect on SiriusXM.

Reactions: dishdude
I recently had the same issue with Spotify opening up each time I connected to my car. There was a setting in Spotify that I had to toggle off in order to stop this behavior. I'm not an Android Auto user so I can't help there, but my point is that if you can't find the setting in Android Auto, try looking in the SXM app itself.

Reactions: Foxbat