Activating a VOOM receiver

Yes... I do not think V* will allow activation of it unless it came from them. Why would you want to do that, any way. They are giving you one with $0 down; just rent.

cancunkev said:
Well, I live 8 months out of the year in Mexico, and I don't think they would install south of the border :)
Can you get it activated here, then take it with you down south? Seems like that should work.

I am in Mexico now, and will be here till right before Christmas, I can use my US residencial address to activate it, that is if it can be done over the phone.

Or a friend to get it installed, then mail you the STB. If that's illegal or in violation of Voom's policies, I can't in good conscious recommend it.

cancunkev,

this won't work when the next software is released. In the next software release the stb will have to be connected to the phoneline on your account otherwise it will be deactivated. Sorry.

Do you have a broadband connection down there? If so, get Vonage and get a US phone number.

I activated my 2nd receiver because the installer forgot to bring it. I met up with him in Portland, he gave me the new receiver and I installed it & called to activate it. The guy on the line at Installs Inc was very surprised to have an end user calling to activate but they did it.

Try?

StevenD said:
Do you have a broadband connection down there? If so, get Vonage and get a US phone number.
:cool: Exactly, Steve. ;)

[DarrellP's experience can likely be duplicated. Though, why buy, when a bigger/better reciever is on the horizon?]

Good v. bad? Fair v. Legal?
Your decision, cancunkev.

If leasing, may one call VoOM & buy extra recievers?
OR
Must they be added-on at high install rates, then rented as well?​

Sean Mota said:
Yes... I do not think V* will allow activation of it unless it came from them. Why would you want to do that, any way. They are giving you one with $0 down; just rent.
When voom starts turning a profit I would buy one. But right now its too big an investment if they dont suceed.

I bought it... I'll be pissed if they go under, but given the math it made some sense for me. My one concern is the PVR release. I was told emphatically by several people at Voom that owners would get a credit towards the PVR. I guess I just want to know how that will translate!

Anybody actually using Vonage with VOOM?

Will it work even though my broadband connection is topped off at 256K? And in Mexico?

Thanks

Vonage works anywhere you have a broadband connection. You could take your box to China, and you'd still receive and make calls with a domestic phone number. As to whether 256k is broadband, I don't know. Go to vonage.com.

Vonage states you need to have 90k per line, so 256k should work fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts