Audio levels between HD and SD

chidancer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Lisle Il
When I tune through IN VOOM on #899 or #8-15 and am running through my external digital 5.1 system, the volume goes through the roof. Not as noticeable if just through the tv speakers, just when tied to my audio system, it is way out of balance. None of the other HD channels have that high of a gain. Any ideas on how to balance without diving for the stereo system remote?

and more...

What really gets my attention is going through the channels and from #885 light classical you go to #999 and get bombarded with the gain difference. I run my audio into a 5.1 system with optical and also run the audio outs directly into my highend system so I can either have the surround sound mix or the more purist sound with my audio research preamp into the appogee's (or both when the mood strikes).

The volume level changes happen on V* and D* Sat for me. Add OTA into the equation and it does get aggravating sometimes. Your either grabbing the remote to turn it down or up in many cases.

It's the fault of the source origination.

It even happens OTA, there is a very wide discrepancy between all of the analog & digital channels. Some of my local digital channels are so low I have to really crank it up, then when I switch to another channel, I get blown off my couch, kind of like that old Maxell tape commercial.

I don't know what makes this problems so difficult to solve. I had the same problem with comcast. :confused:

You would think that a digital signal, with the use of DSP on the STB, could have some type of automatic volume leveling to level out the signal before it gets to your audio equipment.

I have had the problem here in Houston as well....This is what I did and works great for the volume to be steady...I have mine hooked up with the coax and have the audio out in the Voom setup guide to PCM, and Heavy TV....The sound is more balanced that when I had it hooked to No Compression.....Thought this might help and it works great for me......HD=Voom

pdqbobe said:
I have had the problem here in Houston as well....This is what I did and works great for the volume to be steady...I have mine hooked up with the coax and have the audio out in the Voom setup guide to PCM, and Heavy TV....The sound is more balanced that when I had it hooked to No Compression.....Thought this might help and it works great for me......HD=Voom

This isn't really an option for those of us that want dd5.1 with no compression :(

txdude said:
This isn't really an option for those of us that want dd5.1 with no compression :(

I agree also but I have had Voom since 2/28/04 and my sound problem was my biggest issue...I have a Harmon Kardon 1001 inwhich I like the sound of the Logic 7 ....But when I had my V* box set to DD no compression I could not get a balanced sound...So the last few days I have been trying different settings and ________PCM heavy tv_____ worked the best for me ;) HD=Voom

but the pcm position does not pass the 5.1 signal if you have that capability in your outboard receiver. Has to be in the surround choice, and I don't hear much difference in the compression choices through the external receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)