Activating old 301

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Greasepit

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Florida
I am trying to activate an old DP 301 that was in an RV I bought. the unit has a Winegard satellite. i used to have dish service so I called to reactivate my account. After a long process I finally convinced a manager to send me a smart card for my receiver.

I have the new card and have gone through many tech support people at Dish and they do not know what they are doing. When I insert the new card the screen goes dark and the receiver continues to cycle on and off. i verified I am receiving 119 on transponder 11. I ran a check switch and it recognized a switch box 500. After all this when I insert the card it continues to cycle the receiver on and off and cycles through the transponders.

Any suggestions on getting up and running will be greatly appreciated.

Leave the new card out and let it get a firmware update first on it's old card. (I hope it's yellow and not blue!)

Yes do you have the old smart card and B. what is the recievers software version.

I seen this happen before when reciever been out of the stream too long missed too many updates some of them dealing with the new smart card code and it does not understand the smart card and the card throws it for a loop.

If you had the old card it would at least let you boot the reciever and do a software update on the reciever. There are two other ways of updating your box ifthe sofware too old, one using a programmers interface (but typically only pirates do that ) and the device cost money. Option 2 involves corrupting the firmware forcing the reciever to take what ever version that in the stream. But I cant talk about that either as last time I did Dish threw a fit and I was kicked out of dbstalk by captain 2 cents.

I have the same problem with my Dish 1000 receiver i got the new card
When i insert the new card the receiver keep looking for signal over and over when i insert the old card it works fine.

I did not have the old card. without the card in I can go into the set up menu. The Sys Info One page shows software P342. the R00 number is there and the S is all 0's. I did a second check switch and it came up with a SWAJ as device.

I have o problem paying for a device or a service but don't want to be obligated for a long term contract or leasing fees.

Thank you for the response so quick. These forums are a lifesaver.

I had the same issues with my Dish 301 using a DP34 switch.
1. I spoke to several tech support on several occasions. They had me do a
force firmware upgrade directly on the receiver. They resend the activation
signal and still had blank screen.
2. I was then told it was my switch/lnbs (DP34 & lnbs). They said I
should change from legacy to Dish Pro lnb. I still had blank screen. I was
all sats 110/119/118.9 and excellent signal .
3. I finally went to Radio Shack and bought a Dish 311. A tech that seem to
know more than the rest, explained it was a known software issue and
that getting a new receiver was the only option. The newer version to the
301 was the 311. I used my old set up and immediately got a picture with
the 311.

I did not have the old card. without the card in I can go into the set up menu. The Sys Info One page shows software P342. the R00 number is there and the S is all 0's. I did a second check switch and it came up with a SWAJ as device.

I have o problem paying for a device or a service but don't want to be obligated for a long term contract or leasing fees.

Thank you for the response so quick. These forums are a lifesaver.

P342, 3-21-06 that is old way old.

you should be at

P452, 11-14-08 (d, 301-013)

P396, 11-14-08 (e, 301-010/05)

P396 if your have a 301-005 / 301-010 ( you can tell by looking at the back sticker it will say 301.05 or -05 etc. )

P452 if you have a 301-013

Now while the software old it should be salavage if it can see you switch and has a lock on 110 and 119.

then it leave it plug in and off for and hour ... if it not correctly seeing the switch you need to either by pass the switch all to gether or if you have a friend or nighebor with say just a old dp twin with a straight shot to there tv to use that.

Is there a special way to do force firmware upgrade on Dish receiver?

Yes!

Can I talk about them no not really. Since dish network never put a force update code in there receivers your kinda sol.

If you let the box sit connected assuming it understands the switch configuration so it can see 119/110 on even/odd transponders, then your left with two options ones I vaguely go into to keep dish network from making Scott or another mod delete this posting.

I will state this once and only once both methods to force update are not illegal but are used by hackers so hence why I wont go too far deeply into them.

1. Programers port - basically having a computer file of the latest software and uploading it via a special programmers port that use to be visible underneath the receiver. If you use google to visit alt.dbs.echostar ( note this is not a hacking news group) news group there is a man named Fat Bastard who does repair receivers he has the knowledge and means to correctly upload the latest software for your 301 . You could google this information and buy the stuff and try it your self but your likely screw up your box doing so as there important information that has be taken from your receiver first and copied over to the software image to make it work right with the receiver so it best to leave it to a professional repair, or a well trained hacker.

2. If you have a 301-05 301-10 you can do a "blank"yard fix. ( note fill in the blank , heres a hint this is where the 301 will go if you dont get new software for it or your screw it up ) 301-13 can do it but it much more involved. Do to smart programing on dish networks part that if your firmware on the receiver were to ever become corrupted say like the power went out during a firmware upgrade that secondary programing would kick in automatically grab what ever software version for your receiver was in the satellite stream and re-download and install. Basically what happens is you short out the firmware chip causing the software to be corrupted forcing the secondary programing to kick in. But this is also dangerous as you could fry the box, you also have to open the box .

Note I do not condone the theft of satellite services, while I find nothing illegal about these methods Dish Network tend to feel if you use these you are a hacker, but that kinda like if you own a gun you are a mass murder type of scenario.

3. The Long Shot. This is probably the only method in this post dish network wont flip out about. I call it The Long Shot, as it depends on who you get at Dish Net Tech Support line . Since your software it too old to make the upgrade from where your at to where you need to be, I managed twice out of 20 times so 1 out of 10 shot here of a tech supervisor putting old Software for the 301 back in the satellite stream.
So they would put a version that your box could upgrade to in the satellite stream let the box upgrade to that and rinse and repeat until the software revision is at a version that will allow you to accept the latest 301 software.

If it too old of software even the old card not going to get it to grab the latest software. The old card is usually just thereto allow access into all the menus on some units a long time ago it would not allow you to do anything until you inserted something in the card slot.

If DKsat at the correct software revision

876 is old but current
877 is latest as of 12/19 so it still rolling out to everyone.

It also possible they sent him the wrong type of card. The 7200 as an example could not use the same type of yellow access card as the 301. Even though they were identical.

I have being using the 1000 receiver for over 8 years now i subscribe to one of the International packages .The 1000 works fine with the old card all channels are playing fine is just when i insert the new card the receiver keeps looking for i signal .
When i insert the old card back everything is working fine.

Which satellites can your 1000 "see?" Possibly the firmware data stream isn't on 118...

DK_Sat

since your old card is still working your might just not of gotten the software update yet. Or dish gave you the wrong type of card . It happen to me before when they swaped out blue cards for the yellow cards the first time they sent the cards my 7200 would do the same thing as your 1000 got ahold of something with a brain as dish and they realized they gave me the wrong type of card and 2 days later there was a different yellow card that worked just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts