Activation of 921-942 No?!?!

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Just got done talking with a supervisor at Dish TEch phone center. THEY WILL NOT ACTIVATE A HD RECEIVER other then the new models. PERIOD! THe only lone exceptiions are for SD only or HD if the receiver has been activated on YOUR account prior. NO other exceptions. So if you buy off ebay YOUR NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY!.

There is an out she tried to give me. If you activate your old HD receiver for ONLY SD programing, on April 1st you would qualify for the upgrade to 99.00 deal.

So I am out of luck since I returned my 921 to Costo last month. My only recourse is to buy a used 921 off fleabay and activate it for SD until I can upgrad in April.

Also the other issue about needing good credit to do the lease upgrade. THEY DO A CREDIT PROFILE on you when you setup your account. They base there lease to you on that original credit report or you can ask for a new one to be run. Im my case with the bankrupcy I am not able to lease. SO that is not an option.

Wierd thing is I can do the upgrade and its a lease but not a straight out lease. I think its because the liability of selling you that original HD receiver issue.

Good luck!

You can activate any HD receiver, however you can not subscribe to the HD package unless you already have the HD package.

Thread Title edited.

Scott is exactly correct. That is where some are missing the point. You can activate but for ONLY SD. The supervisor said they at the control center do not even have a choice to activate the old HD pack. It is only an option that appears if the reciever currently has it. He said only a higher ranking person could overide with there password. He was very intellegent and lots of help.

I sent an email with my concerns to Ceo and others. So far no response.

I also posed the question of why if I had the HD pack on my 921 I could not activate on a replacement 921-942 since I returned mine to costco defective. He said I could write a letter to corportate as his department could not make that choice. BUNK!

The point I've been making on the other thread on this same topic is that Dish is saying that they will not activate new HD accounts on pre-211/411/622 receivers. There is no new information so far in this thread.

New HD accounts are those for people who are either new subs to Dish or existing subs who had only SD.

An existing HD sub, who has either the old HD pack or a new receiver with a metallic pack, may be able to have older HD receivers activated for the MPEG2 HD channels. Dish has not been clear about this but reports to this forum have indicated that they have been activating the receivers. So if someone has an 811 and has been getting Dish HD for several months, and they now pick up a 942, it looks like Dish will activate the 942 for the same channels as they have been getting on the 811.

The big question if Dish is sticking to their policy of not activating any Dish-supplied HD channels for someone who buys a 921 or 942 and is attempting to subscribe to Dish HD for the first. Some people are reporting that Dish has activated their recently purchased 942s as new customers.

Tom, Actually that is opposite of what the Dish supervisor told me! I did have 921 activated up till Dec 20th on the 921 I returned. He was very clear about I could buy 20 811's or 921's today and he could only activate them for SD. I WILL NEVER GET OLD HD PACK on anything but a replacement under warrenty old HD reciever that was turned off or switched. He was very clear about this. Old or new customers will not get old HD pack on a different reciever then one grandfathered PERIOD end of story!

iceshark said:
Tom, Actually that is opposite of what the Dish supervisor told me! I did have 921 activated up till Dec 20th on the 921 I returned. He was very clear about I could buy 20 811's or 921's today and he could only activate them for SD. I WILL NEVER GET OLD HD PACK on anything but a replacement under warrenty old HD reciever that was turned off or switched. He was very clear about this. Old or new customers will not get old HD pack on a different reciever then one grandfathered PERIOD end of story!

The information from Scott was still correct in your case. You ARE NOT an HDPak subscriber now, so you can't activate the old HDPak if you buy a 921 or 942 NOW!

I agree, what iceshark reported about the 921 is exactly in line with Dish's stated policy. He was not an existing HD subscriber and attempted to activate a 921 for HD programming after 2/1/06. Policy says they won't do this. However there are reports that some CSRs are activating old receivers under this scenario.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)