Activation questions for DIRT team

brose1958

Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Bainbridge, GA
Have purchased my own dish system: a new 211K receiver and a 1000.2 western arc dish from an online dealer. Have not received them yet. I understand that dish has a pay as you go or monthly prepaid service which I am interested in as I travel a lot and do not like paying for service when I am not using it. I really don't like long term contracts either. Please tell me how this program works (ie activation cost, etc.) so I will be prepared to start service once i get the system installed. thank you.

Install everything on your own, and we'll activate it (no contract). You would need to pay the first month of service upfront when we are activating it. Was there any specific questions you had? There isn't an activation fee, only the first month of service payment is needed.

Thanks Matt. Are there any ("reconnect/reactivate fees", etc.) when I don't use it for a month and then turn it back on? Can I manage my account online just like a customer under contract? Buy a different package whenever I want to? Please excuse my ignorance. I have never dealt with Dish Network before and real info about prepaid option is hard to find on the internet. I have been a cband user since the 80's. I know the technology, but get lost with all the deals and plans that are available with the little dish systems.

No reconnect/reactivate fees, only what you would normally pay for the programming. You would be able to change your package online as you please.

You won't be able to cancel online

brose
I had kinda the same setup as you have and did what you wanted to do. Here is kinda how it works billing wise

As Matt said you pay for the month up front before you can use it. There is no fees or anything extra except taxes. Billing works kinda like this
Lets say you activate Sept 1 (for ease of example)....you pay whatever the monthly fee is. Matt turns the system on....
Sept 10th or so you'll get a bill for the period of Oct 1-31st. It will be due Sept 30th.
If you pay on or before the 30th now you're set for October.
Don't pay and they cut you off on 10/1 until you pay

The bill is always due the day before the new bill cycle begins

Yes you can view your full online account and make changes EXCEPT cancelling. That has to be done via chat/phone or PM to DIRT team. You can remove alacarte programming but a full cancel would require a call/chat/PM

Wow guys, thank you Matt and Ice for the information. You have told me more in the last 2 hours than I have been able to glean from the internet and talking with dish csr's for the last week. I really appreciate your help.
I now know where to go for information in the future. Once I get the system installed I will contact Matt for activation.
I would buy you both a beer if I could....

Matt. Dish system all installed and set up. Did software download and am ready for activation. Please help me get it working.
I assume I should send you a PM with receiver# etc. So here it comes.

Thanks, Brad