Active receiver w/out core programming?

cruiser83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I am considering cutting the cord, well not really, actually just maintain a very small minimalist cord.

Besides the Welcome Pack, what is the most minimal option to keep my receiver active so I can still use the DVR capabilities for my OTA? Does Dish offer a "keep service active w/out core programming" fee option? Or perhaps an even more bare bones pack then the Welcome Pack?

I've looked into some of the stand alone options for OTA DVR and those units seem to be expensive, clunky or both, I would rather keep the user friendly convenience of my Dish receiver for recording my OTA. Plus, I am not totally committing, I like the idea if I change my mind with the few clicks of a button I could easily re-upgrade my programming.

Thanks

What you want is Dish Pause. It is $5 per month, but you can only do that for so many months in a row. When you unpause, you have to keep your service active with a programming package for so many months before you can Pause again. The terms as far as the allowed / required number of months keep changing, so I will let someone else weigh in with hopefully more current information.

Reactions: cruiser83
Welcome pack is the lowest you can go. Dish Pause ($5 per month, max 6 months in any rolling 12 month period) might be able to allow you to still watch existing DVR recordings, but recording new OTA programs may not be possible while on Dish Pause.

Reactions: JSheridan
Welcome pack is the lowest you can go. Dish Pause ($5 per month, max 6 months in any rolling 12 month period) might be able to allow you to still watch existing DVR recordings, but recording new OTA programs may not be possible while on Dish Pause.
I am pretty sure that is possible, but it has been reported that watching existing recordings from an external hard drive may not work, so transfer anything important to the internal drive before you Pause.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am considering cutting the cord, well not really, actually just maintain a very small minimalist cord.

Besides the Welcome Pack, what is the most minimal option to keep my receiver active so I can still use the DVR capabilities for my OTA? Does Dish offer a "keep service active w/out core programming" fee option? Or perhaps an even more bare bones pack then the Welcome Pack?

I've looked into some of the stand alone options for OTA DVR and those units seem to be expensive, clunky or both, I would rather keep the user friendly convenience of my Dish receiver for recording my OTA. Plus, I am not totally committing, I like the idea if I change my mind with the few clicks of a button I could easily re-upgrade my programming.

Thanks
Welcome Pack is as low as you can go. Dish will not keep a receiver activated without programming.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks everyone! I will look into the Dish pause option, that sounds like that could work for me and gives me a specific line of questioning I can use when I contact Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)