Activision Strikes Back: Guitar Hero World Tour Announced

Activision not the only one catching up/playing copycat:

Rock Revolution drums revealed [update] - Nintendo Wii Fanboy

Rock Band 2 is also being prepared for a fall launch, no more instruments, just more features.

What will help determine the victor here IMO, is the one that comes forward and says all DLC from here on out is interoperable with sequels where possible.

This is possible for Rock Band, but don't see it happening for GH4.

What will help determine the victor here IMO, is the one that comes forward and says all DLC from here on out is interoperable with sequels where possible.

This is possible for Rock Band, but don't see it happening for GH4.

I agree. If Harmonix comes out and says that all my RB DLC will work in RB2 (as it should if they have any sense) then I'll be sticking with RB.

Also, isn't it a little pointless to call it "Guitar Hero" if you add vocals and drums?

I agree. If Harmonix comes out and says that all my RB DLC will work in RB2 (as it should if they have any sense) then I'll be sticking with RB.

Also, isn't it a little pointless to call it "Guitar Hero" if you add vocals and drums?
Brand Recognition.

Interesting statement.
"Guitar Hero World Tour" will include the ability for two groups of four people each to compete online, as well as let players compose and play their own music, Activision said on Thursday.

I've always preferred the look and feel of GH over Rockband. The key will be DLC.

And this statement.
"Due out in the fall, the game will mark a new direction for the "Guitar Hero" franchise, in which players push colored buttons on a plastic guitar-shaped controller to match notes on the screen"
What does new direction mean? No more pushing colored buttons?

Last edited:
Rock Band 2 is also being prepared for a fall launch, no more instruments, just more features.

Where have you seen this. From what I read, Harmonix has said that Rock Band was made to last more than one year, so there would be no Rock Band 2 this year.

Of course, if they are feeling pressure from the new Guitar Hero game it could have changed their plans.

I am not sure where I read it now, but it was phrased in a 'it's happening' manner that had me believe it. Cant find anything online to back it up now, sorry, so who knows.

Also:

GameStop has revealed the upcoming rock simulator's price and release date. $189.99 will get you the Guitar Hero World Tour "Band Kit" with drum kit, guitar, and microphone. Meanwhile, the "Guitar Kit" at $99.99 will come with just the guitar controller. For those of you who want to use your current controller (assuming current controllers will work), the game-only version will run $59.99 (or $49.99 for the PS2 and Wii). The game's ship date, as of now, is set at 10/27/08.

once Activision replaced Harmonix, I totally stopped playing Guitar Hero. Last good one was 2.

I have them both, well actuallty GH3 is my son's. I like them both but GH3 has more song interesting songs for me. The Drum set is what drives my will to play RB, and the fact thatI play with my family. And I agree with you guys, the DLC is what's going to keep both franchises alive and RB is doing a better job. We need more classic metal :D, and maybe more progressive rock/metal songs so I can replace my afternoon jogging for the RB Drums, heck who need a Wii-Fit when I'm playing drums at tenperatures close to a 100 righthere on the caribbean. :D

Rock band needs and online career, I play with my friends a lot but I need the challenge of a career to keep me interested.