Actuators - The bigger the better???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I have a 10' Winegard BUD with a 36" actuator that bit the dust. :(

A local former C band installer claims that anything over 24" is overkill. I do have a couple of like new 24" ones sitting in the barn but I am low on 36" actuators. I always thought that bigger is better to catch more birds but I am considering using a 24".

What are your thoughts on actuator size and is the installer full of beans??? :confused:

I would think, to a certain extent, that a larger actuator would also have heavier parts that wouldn't wear out as soon. That said I wouldn't put a 36" on a 6' dish.

I'd do what I wanted if I were you. Not going to hurt anything.

Long ones can sub for short ones if you don't relocate the attachment points. Relocating the attachment point further towards the edge of the dish gives more mechanical advantage to move heaver dishes or give more counts between sats on smaller dishes. They all use similar components the longer ones just have longer screws.

I tried using a 36in actuator on my 6ft dish and it was overkill. The construction and mounting location were the actuator would be attached to the dish could only allow approx 22 in of travel. Further extension would put the dish in a position were it would get stuck at the both extreme west/east level (basically looking at the horizon which was no benefit)
The longer actuators are designed for heavier/bigger dishes, especially with wind gusts.

To me, actuator length is important only for arc coverage (unless your dish specifies a specific actuator size).

I use 24" actuators as they seem to have full north american arc coverage for me. Due to trees/out of footprint, getting to the extremes of the arc isn't possible so I've never investigated if a 36" arm would be beneficial in those situations (or if my dish could support an actuator that long when installed properly).

As for size, I'd disagree bigger is durable. When one of my 24" actuators died, I didn't want to pay a couple hundred for a replacement. I found one for about $30 and purchased it after I verified its pounds capacity.

It came, looked pretty fragile, but it's been driving a 9' solid dish just fine for a few months now so IMHO pound rating is important to choosing an actuator and making sure it's installed right so it doesn't have any side or offset forces that could shorten its life.

this is kinda a two pointed question

some take bigger to equal size, others take it to equal length of the arm. both are in fact different.

a Heavy Duty actuator will handle moving larger dishes better than a regular duty actuator.

a heavy duty actuator tends to handle moving dishes better in extremely colder areas better also.

actuator length is different , as noted above dish size has everything to do with actuator length . so a 6 ft dish can probably get most of the viewable arc with an 18 inch length . a 24 in length would get all the arc that the mount will allow the dish to travel.

move that up to a 12 ft dish and an 18 inch actuator would only cover a portion of the arc a 24 inch would get most of the arc and a 36 inch should get all the arc.

these are just from my observations i know there are others here who can explain it better than i can.

You hit a point depending on the design of the dish when a longer actuator don't get you anymore sweep. Normally a 24" actuator on a 10 or 12 foot dish is fine. If you want end to end a horizon to horizon is the only way to go.

i use 36" actuators on both dishes....my 7.5' and 10' has them. I would imagine they will last forever moving aluminum mesh dishes. Also my dishes can stretch from 43w to 139w. gives me a nice wide arc. I know polar mounts are not H to H mounts but its almost with a 36" actuator arm. I have found that the longer arm seems to keep track of the sky more accurately than the former 18" and 24" models i had. I paid barely more for the 36" no name actuators.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)