Add a receiver

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
A friend currently has two receivers. The installer installed two dishes (one primary, one for some extra locals) on the top of the roof, and ran two cables down to the house's closet and from there, used the existing homerun cables to the two receivers. If he wants to add another receiver, does he have to run another cable from the roof? There is no way he can climb up the roof. Is it possible to use some magic switch in the "closet" ? BTW, the check switch shows currently DPP Twin.

Insufficent data. What kind of receivers?

However, the answer is probably that at least one more cable will be needed.

IF he can replace an existing single-tuner box with a dual-tuner, then and only then will he be OK.

All single tuner receivers (I think they are 311s).
There is no plan to spend extras to "upgrade" to dual tuners.

The only way to add a third receiver is to add a switch (DP34) and to add a switch you will need three cable runs from the LNBS to the switch. Then feed up to 4 receivers.

He has two dishes but has 3 satellite locations thus the need for a third cable run. One feed to the switch for each satellite location.

Like Simon says, the "magic switch in the closet" is a dual-tuner DPP compatible box, like the 322. I'm seeing those for $70-$80 on ebay.

Keep forgetting about those dual tuners, man. Got to get me one so I can get them in my head.

Like mdonnelly and Simon said, dual tuner is your only option if you don't or can't run a third cable.

Today I read that dpptwin can be connected to dpp44. Does that mean a dpp44 can be used in the closet?

rjad said:
Today I read that dpptwin can be connected to dpp44. Does that mean a dpp44 can be used in the closet?

if you connect the Dpp44, it will kill the input on the Dpp Twin, so he would still need another run from the second dish to the switch location to be able to keep all three satellites

birddoggy said:
if you connect the Dpp44, it will kill the input on the Dpp Twin, so he would still need another run from the second dish to the switch location to be able to keep all three satellites

I heard some rumors that San Francisco extra locals will be moved away from the second dish. Is that true? If so, does that mean we are ok "losing" the second dish ?

SF Locals are moving to Echostar X at 110. The first half will move tomorrow and the second half on May 5th. You will not need the second dish unless you subscribe to Internationals or HD.

rjad said:

No one addressed this, but if you are considering a DPP44, do yourself a favor and upgrade the one reciever to a dual tuner, a seperator, and a pair of diplexors. It will be cheaper. Much cheaper. You can cut the costs even more by ebaying your extra single tuner.

I could be wrong here but the dpp twin has an input built in for the second dish that is coming down the existing lines. The dpp 44 switch would take the place of the one on the roof and CONTINUE to distribute the signal the way it already does AND allow your friend to hook up his third receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts