Add an external HD to 722...but the USB port is already used

nwflyboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
So the internal HD on my 722 has filled up nearly to capacity. I ordered an external HD (EHD) which arrived today (1.5 TB Western Digital, with its own power supply). I had assumed that all I needed to do was plug in the EHD via USB, say OK the reformatting prompt, and would be done with it. However, I just opened the box, went to hook up the EHD to the 722, and found that...

There's a single USB port on the back of the 722. That USB port is already occupied - there's a cable plugged in that ends with a wifi receiver (about the size of a USB flash thumbdrive). Yeah, there's another USB port on the front if I open the right door, but that door won't close with anything plugged in, so that's not a good solution.

Hmmm.

What are my options here? Can I plug in a (powered) USB hub to the back of the 722, then plug in both the EHD and the wifi receiver to the hub? Are there any other options available (assuming I want to have an EHD and the wifi receiver connected at the same time)?

Thanks!

Wow, that was fast filling up your 722. It seems only a month ago I had suggested Dish to you over at the avsforum thread...you haven't started offloading titles on to your Mag? :eek:

Wow, that was fast filling up your 722. It seems only a month ago I had suggested Dish to you over at the avsforum thread...you haven't started offloading titles on to your Mag? :eek:

Good memory there, D2B :D. You are correct - we got new Dish service in early December, and I've been on a tare recording oodles of stuff. What can I say - kid in a candy store.
I have only offloaded a few things so far (but I promise I'll be more disciplined soon, really :popcorn).

I've actually been using my trusty old Panasonic DMR-EH50 for that, rather than the Mag. In truth, I like the editing controls on the Panny better (useful for trimming the recordings down, splitting off the pre- and post-program overlaps - something that seems unavoidable with Dish recordings), and I love the Panny's ability to fit a long program to a single DVD ("flexible recording" mode: take a 2 hour program and downsample it just enough to fit on a standard DVD disc) - I have not found that option on the Mag - does it do that? I have actually been considering returning the Mag (still within the 90 day return window for me) as it appears the Panny does everything I want - the only thing the Mag seems to offer over the Panny is the tuner, which I don't have a use for. Other than the tuner, can you think of any advantage the Mag has over my Panasonic, if the goal is to use it for offloading and archiving?

In any case, I don't want to derail my own thread. ;) I *have* successfully offloaded a handful of titles (non-HD, of course) using the method we had discussed previously (works great, although it's somewhat time consuming, of course) and I will do more of that. But for now, I have 1.5 TB available from Newegg so I can afford to be lazy for a while.

Many thanks again for your useful advice - watching TV is fun again. And I certainly enjoyed throwing all the Comcast hardware in a box and returning that to them. :)

So, am I correct that my only options are:

1. Plug in a powered USB hub to the single rear USB plug, then plug in both the wifi receiver and the EHD to the hub
2. Plug in one item to the rear USB port, and plug in the other to the USB port behind the front-right door

Any others?

Thanks again - this forum is absolutely awesome for the quick, useful info!

I'm just glad my Dish suggestion didn't blow up in your face and put egg on mine. Glad to see you're enjoying it. :)

As far as the Mag vs. the Panny, I've never used the EH50 so I can claim ignorant bliss for my Mag and can't really suggest advantages. I'm just glad I at least now have a HDD DVD recorder vs. one without a hard drive which is what I used to have. If I ever have a chance to snag a lightly-used Panny for a reasonable price, I'll be sure to jump on it.

Be careful what you say around here... Pretty soon you're going to be seeing posts about how people "can't imagine recording that much stuff" and "where do you find the time to watch all that stuff" etc. ...

That being said, I love my EHDs along with my 722Ks. I don't really care about using the front port, I kinda like the techie look it gives, but yeah, you can use a powered USB 2.0 hub on the back port to make room for the EHD. You could even hook up multiple EHDs to the hub, just don't power them all at once, as the receiver will only interface with one at a time.

So, am I correct that my only options are:

1. Plug in a powered USB hub to the single rear USB plug, then plug in both the wifi receiver and the EHD to the hub
2. Plug in one item to the rear USB port, and plug in the other to the USB port behind the front-right door

Any others?

Thanks again - this forum is absolutely awesome for the quick, useful info!

In a pinch, I would move the USB dongle to the front and plug the EHD in the back. At least you won't have too much visual intrusiveness (smaller item connected to the front).

My solution to the USB port in the front is to put the whole darn receiver, Sling Adapter, and EHD in a closet downstairs. ;) Now on the rare occasion I have to enter that closet, my 722 is by far the most beautiful thing in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)